Windows 7 Hibernate/Sleep causing corruption?

alias_neo

Hi guys, I was hoping not to have to join this forum but here I am unfortunately, meant in the nicest possible way.

I have been running build 7000 for a couple months which was running perfect no problems at all except for that my system simply wouldn't hibernate. However, build 7100 came out and I upgraded, finally my hibernate works.

But, now and again when i try to hibernate or sleep the computer, screen will go off and it won't have the huge amount of hard drive activity that is normal for hibernate, it will stick in that state and do nothing until i forcefully power it down.

I reboot and normally explorer.exe will crash, reboot and it will stick at shutting down and never shut down.

The only solution i found so far was to system restore, but the first time I tried that got stuck too. Forcefully powered down again and tried system restore and it worked, then i was able to hbernate once more, next time it would not hibernate or sleep again and would not shut down either.

Anyone have any possible solutions? The system ran perfect on only windows drivers with build 7000 so i assume it's security or something issues. I have very little 3rd party software installed at this point:

7zip (with shell extension)
Notepad++
PSpice
Internet Download Manager
Avast! antivirus
Google Talk
Firefox
Vodafone Mobile Connect
WinCE Cab Manager

These are the standard apps I run for my work etc.

As I type this, my Network/Volume/Security Centre Icons are missing from taskbar. I clicked Start Menu/Task bar settings which I can not do anything in and the OK/Cancel buttons do nothing. (But obviously my network is connected because I'm submitting this. Although I can open the start menu, nothing I click does anything. WINKEY+E doesn't work so I will kill explorer after I submit this.

In case it is of help, I am running on an Intel Atom netbook with an Intel GMA945 chipset, 2GB RAM. Ralink RT2680 Wifi abgn (only 3rd party driver installed is this, I'm using the Ralink driver) connected to a WPA2 Enterprise Radius Server.

Any solutions would be much appreciated just so I can carry on working with this new build and be able to hibernate when I need.

Well, you have done a bit of problem solving yourself. I would disable every 3rd party program, even Avast (disclaimer, just disable this to try this solution) and then try a hibernate or sleep. If you are still having issues, I would use your ole burned ISO and just reinstall 7 cleanly.

I Wish

Well, Clean install was the obvious solution. I have tried 6 or 7 times now in the last few days up to writing here. Of course I have also tried disabling Avast.

I found what appeared to be the solution but it seems now that it was not. I have an SD card I leave permenantly plugged in to the SD slot, it should be blank but it turned out it contained some ".Trash" and other similar files/folders from an OSX install I had on here at one point.

Having formatted the card it seemed the problem was solved, hibernate and sleep and even shutdown worked for a little while.

Now the problems are coming back, The Network/Volume/Security Centre taskar icons disappear and only come back on restart. (Which may or may not need to be done forcibly). My last resort is to leave the SD card out of the system once I get it working right to see if it works without it being left in there.

Uninstalling all 3rd party softwares may or may not have worked because once it started working i reinstalled back again.

The SD card thing is certainly worth a thought for those like myself who might consider leaving on inserted in their system.

Well, I have a new issue for you then. I installed a multi card reader and in time, it caused my computer to actually turn itself back on after a hibermate(pretty wicked when you are going to sleep!). I had some other issues with my card reader and ended up disconnecting it from the motherboard. Never came back on without me hitting the power button after that one. A milder solution though would be to disable BIOS settings pertaining to USB devices being able to bring you computer out of standby or similar.

Well, I have a new issue for you then. I installed a multi card reader and in time, it caused my computer to actually turn itself back on after a hibermate(pretty wicked when you are going to sleep!). I had some other issues with my card reader and ended up disconnecting it from the motherboard. Never came back on without me hitting the power button after that one. A milder solution though would be to disable BIOS settings pertaining to USB devices being able to bring you computer out of standby or similar.

Well, this seems similar to the problem I was having here with hibernate, I'm leaving the card out of the system to see how it goes for a while. My laptop BIOS doesn't have anything to prevent USB devices waking the system and the ports stay powered anyway when it's plugged in wether it's on or off. I tried setting it from within windows for everything from Wifi to the card reader and USB ports but nothing seemed to work, but I don't seem to be having any problems just yet fingers crossed now that the memory card has been taken out.

We'll see how it goes after 3 or 4 cycles. I'm so busy working at the moment, it barely gets turned off.

Back
Top Bottom