Windows Vista "hibernating..." problem on startup

qbtalshbh

excuse me if there is a thread on this; I'm sure there is. after going about a day without using my laptop (inspiron 1525, vista home basic), I turned it on about an hour ago and it was unusually slow. it took about 2 minutes to get to "resuming windows..." just before the login screen. I had this "resuming windows..." message for about 10 minutes before deciding to turn it off and back on. startup speed was normal the time, but just before the login screen it stopped again, this time with the message "hibernating...". I waited, turned it off and on again, and it was the same thing. I unwisely turned it off and on a couple more times. the last time I let it go, and as of now it's been stuck at the "hibernating..." message for over 30 minutes. the loading bar is spinning, and the hard drive is showing a small amount of activity, but I'm not sure what's going on.

I'm home this weekend from school, where I have the instruction packet and everything, so that's why I came here. I haven't tried booting in safe mode as I'm afraid to. thanks for any answers.

Are you running SP1? If so try running the repair option found on the the vista installation disk (if you have it). If your not running SP1 I advise you to install it..

You could also try 'System Restore'. and setting the system back to before this started happening..

Here's a tutorial on hibernation problems, I'm not sure if this is any help as I've not read it (found it by googling your problem) but it may point you in the right direction:
http://www.vistax64.com/tutorials/63567-power-options-sleep-mode-problems.html

My son works as a Dell maintenance man. He was not hopeful for your problem, other than a reinstall. Hwever, he offered these alternatives. All three will require that you can, at least, get into Safe mode.
First, if you have it, uninstall SP1.
Second:
Link Removed due to 404 Error To make hibernation unavailable, follow these steps:
1. Click Start, and then type cmd in the Start Search box.
2. In the search results list, right-click Command Prompt, and then click Run as Administrator.
3. When you are prompted by User Account Control, click Continue.
4. At the command prompt, type powercfg.exe /hibernate off, and then press ENTER.
5. Type exit, and then press ENTER.

The third, a little more tech:
The best workaround so far is to change some settings for the wireless network adapter:http://www.dellcommunity.com/supportforums/board/message?

Open Device Manager (type Device Manager into the start search box) and modify the properties for the "Dell Wireless 1395 WLAN Mini-Card".

Leave the device enabled, but open its properties, go to the Power Management tab, and uncheck the "Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power" checkbox. The reboot problem should disappear. You won't need to uninstall Vista SP1, nor will you need to disable Hibernate. Some users have noticed that with this option unchecked, the battery tends to drain more overnight than when they had the option enabled.

Wow, awesome advice... I feel rather foolish with amateur attempts at trying to help lol.

I had a Sunday lunch with my son today. I think he may have "accidently" suggested a more likely alternative.
Just wherre the screen meets the main body, there is a hibernate button which gets pressed when you close the lid. This button, it seems, on certain models, is notorious for getting stuck! If that turns out to be your problem, you'll have to ease it out with a needle point. This is daring - he suggest you get a small file and take just a wee bit off the top of the button! - Not for me M8.

Back