Windows 7 High Definition Audio not working.

dr.vox

High Definition Audio not working. [SOLVED]

I know there's already a thread about HDA not working, but this is slightly different.

Basically, I have no sound on one machine, despite the fact the manufacturer listed is Microsoft. That's the only information given which I could identify it with, other than HDA. I think what I'm really asking first is 'how can I better identify the device?'.

I find it really strange that the Microsoft HDA doesn't work, yet my other machine works perfectly fine, but which also has a Microsoft HDA card (I wouldn't know if they are the same, but I highly doubt it as they're two totally different machines).

EDIT: Attached screenshot of Device Manager's info.

Last edited:
I know there's already a thread about HDA not working, but this is slightly different.

Basically, I have no sound on one machine, despite the fact the manufacturer listed is Microsoft. That's the only information given which I could identify it with, other than HDA. I think what I'm really asking first is 'how can I better identify the device?'.

I find it really strange that the Microsoft HDA doesn't work, yet my other machine works perfectly fine, but which also has a Microsoft HDA card (I wouldn't know if they are the same, but I highly doubt it as they're two totally different machines).

EDIT: Attached screenshot of Device Manager's info.
Hi dr.vox,

Device manager is showing the current drivers the Win 7 OS you have installed has used by default for your High Definition Audio device (HDA) and apparently they are not the right type!!!

If this is a Brand Name Desktop or Note book Computer, posting its EXACT Make ( company name) and Model [ Product line -Model specific name and alphanumeric string if any Example: HP Pavilion a6700z series] will assist us to locate its SPECS from the Manufacturer's site. If it's custom made PC, the minimum hardware Specifications needed are make and model of Motherboard, Video card, Sound Card: if the last 2 are add-on cards and the type and amount of RAM used.In this specific instance we are looking for most likely a Motherboard integrated sound card.

The way to overcome present problem with many of your devices in trouble as shown in DM , is to use the mobo CD or the manufacturer's Software disc that contains the chipset and other drivers or get the the latest VISTA X 32 or X64 drivers corresponding to your Win & X 32 or X64 from their respective websites.

Last edited:
Hi dr.vox,
Device manager is showing the current drivers
Oh of course! Sorry, I've been running OS X for about 6 months now, prior to which I was running XP, so my Windows knowledge has become really rusty.

If this is a Brand Name Desktop
Now this is a bit more difficult, as it's not really either... I think my mom bought it from Aldi (supermarket popular in Europe, thought I think parts of the US has stores too). As far as I can remember, it's a Medion MD8386, and the last time I looked for any documentation or support on this, I could find despairingly little. I'm sure we could probably find the motherboard, though, which might be of a bit of help at least.

I'll have a look for the system discs provided, but I can't say I know where they are off the top of my head. Also, the computer was bought quite a few years ago and thus came with XP, which makes the prospect of finding the discs less useful.

Thanks for being so helpful. :)

EDIT: Found a system disc, and on that, a folder of drivers, amongst which was a sound driver (something about C Media and AZA -- the AZA makes me wonder if it could be Azalia). Currently running the Driver install exe in XP SP2 compatability mode.

EDIT2: Installed fine in compatability mode. Works perfectly. Thanks a lot for nudging me to go find the discs. Thanks for your support. :)

Last edited:
Oh of course! Sorry, I've been running OS X for about 6 months now, prior to which I was running XP, so my Windows knowledge has become really rusty.

Now this is a bit more difficult, as it's not really either... I think my mom bought it from Aldi (supermarket popular in Europe, thought I think parts of the US has stores too). As far as I can remember, it's a Medion MD8386, and the last time I looked for any documentation or support on this, I could find despairingly little. I'm sure we could probably find the motherboard, though, which might be of a bit of help at least.

I'll have a look for the system discs provided, but I can't say I know where they are off the top of my head. Also, the computer was bought quite a few years ago and thus came with XP, which makes the prospect of finding the discs less useful.

Thanks for being so helpful. :)

EDIT: Found a system disc, and on that, a folder of drivers, amongst which was a sound driver (something about C Media and AZA -- the AZA makes me wonder if it could be Azalia). Currently running the Driver install exe in XP SP2 compatability mode.

Glad to help you but I am not familiar with the Manufacturer Medion. When I did a Google search with the name Medion MD8386, I could not find a Computer. Is that the EXACT name? But using the name
Medion Titanium MD8386 with Aldi got me this hit:
MEDION Titanium MD8386 at Link Removed - Invalid URL

XL-POWER
High performance Intel Pentium® 4 3.2GHz-2MB L2 Cache-800 MHz FSB
64 bit Technology to support your future computing needs
Whisper quiet due to AIR XL heat pipe cooler and SpeedStep

XL-HARD DISC CAPACITY
Enormous Western Digital 320 GB Hard Disc

XL-MEMORY
1024 MB Memory, DDR 400MHz, 64 Bit dual channel memory

XL-HIGH-END GRAPHICS
ATI RADEON X740 XL Graphics Card with new PCI-Express x16 bus architecture 128MB DDR3 Memory at 900MHz

XL-BURNER
Pioneer 16x DUAL LAYER Multi Format DVD/CD Writer

XL-PACKAGE
DVD-ROM 16x
DVB-T Digital TV TUNER
Analogue stereo TV
Bluetooth
WLAN 54 MBit/s Built-in wireless adaptor IEEE 802.11g
9 in 1 Memory Card Reader USB 2.0 integrated
6 x USB 2.0 2 x front, 4 x rear
2 x FireWire IEEE 1394, 1 x front, 1 x rear
8-channel Intel® High Definition Audio
LAN Network Controller. DSL and Network ready
56K V.9x PCI Data/Fax modem.

COMES COMPLETE WITH:
Wireless multimedia keyboard
Wireless optical scroll mouse
Wireless RF remote control
Headset with microphone

SOFTWARE XL
Comprehensive Software Package: Suitable for family and school as well as office and home entertainment.

Microsoft® Windows® XP Home Edition Preloaded and on recovery CD OEM-version
PowerDirector
PowerProducer
PowerDVD
MediaShow
Nero 6

MICROSOFT WORKS SUITE 2005

Microsoft Word
Microsoft Works 8 Standard
Microsoft Picture it! Photo 10
Microsoft Encarta Encyclopedia 2005
Microsoft Money 2005
Microsoft AutoRoute 2005

I found the image uploaded as attachment:

I hope the system functions with Device Drivers in WinXP compatibility mode.

Good luck.

Yeah, that's the exact name of it, the Medion Titanium MD8386.
Medion is a kind-of small company, who I think might be UK-based. They seem to mainly do media centre-style computers.

Sound works perfectly after the XP SP2 compatability install, in case you didn't see (edited that post twice).
It's now listed as C-Media High Definition Audio device.

Thanks again. :)

Yeah, that's the exact name of it, the Medion Titanium MD8386.
Medion is a kind-of small company, who I think might be UK-based. They seem to mainly do media centre-style computers.

Sound works perfectly after the XP SP2 compatability install, in case you didn't see (edited that post twice).
It's now listed as C-Media High Definition Audio device.

Thanks again. :)
Glad to help:) Thrilled to hear that the PC regained its voice!. Enjoy Win 7 . Keep those driver discs handy ( burn copies to CDs to prevent loss of function from scratch or save them to USB Flash drives or as ISO Image files in your PC's Hard disk for future needs)as Medion seems to have no downloadable drivers for this system; they don't even seem to recognize this model at their site. Did you look into the DM again to see all the error symbols are gone? There was one ?Other devices and one ! USB mass Storage showing Excalmation point on yellow backgrounds. Check all your peripheral USB devices like Webcam , Headsets, Printers etc and if anyone of them needs Driver install to correct the problem. Good luck

Back