Windows 10 Holding down Backspace erasing typed text too slow

Erez

How long should the computer wait before accepting subsequent repeated keystrokes? is set to 0.3 seconds and this is the minimum value, but holding down Backspace still erasing typed text too slow. Changing the value above 0.3 seconds (2.0 seconds is the maximum) makes held down Backspace erasing text even slower. I must set this time to be less than 0.3 seconds, but I can't do that in this ComboBox or DropDownList, but I believe that it's possible to do this through the registry with the regedit, but I don't know where exactly the setting is.

pressing the [backspace] key and holding it down are two different actions on windows systems... hacking the system timing with regedit is not going to end well.

Ctrl+Backspace deletes one word at a time in most text editors...
I didn't mention the Ctrl key at all. I am talking about only the Backspace.
pressing the [backspace] key and holding it down are two different actions on windows systems... hacking the system timing with regedit is not going to end well.
I don't care. I prefer to take the risk. If I will do this action wrongly and make windows 10 malfunction, I will uninstall it and reinstall windows 7.

The keyboard delays are controlled at the following keys
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Control Panel\Accessibility\Keyboard Response
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Control Panel\Keyboard

Under the Keyboard Response key change flags to 59 and then you can adjust the settings. Logout and back in and it should be faster once you change the repeat rate.

Last edited:
The keyboard delays are controlled at the following keys
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Control Panel\Accessibility\Keyboard Response
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Control Panel\Keyboard

Under the Keyboard Response key change flags to 59 and then you can adjust the settings. Logout and back in and it should be faster once you change the repeat rate.
Thank you! I was looking for this answer! I changed the registry and liked your reply, but I can't neither restart nor log out, because my computer is doing work currently and I can't stop it. I will let you know later if it works or not. If it will, then your reply is the Best Answer.

but I am curious about the Keyboard Response key, what is the meaning of 59? In what units this variable measured? Milliseconds? Nanoseconds? Ticks? or what the exact meaning of this variable and it's value.

EDIT: Well I tried this, but it didn't work! :(

Last edited:
Hi

On my computer opening Keyboard Properties in Control Panel give me a tab labeled Speed.

It has sliders for Repeat Delay and Repeat Rate.
Setting the Repeat Rate to Fast makes using the backspace key go really quickly on my computer.

Changing the Repeat Delay slows the interval between the first and second keystroke.

I have both set to fast because of Gaming where I want to be able to repeat keys very quickly.

Mike

I did some testing.

I created a line of type 100 characters long in a window here, and then removed it using the backspace key.

It took between 6 and 7 seconds, longer then I would have thought, but about .06 to .07 seconds per character.

Then I opened Word and did a 200 character block of copy.
It took 11 seconds to delete it using the backspace key, or .055 seconds per character fairly close to the previous test.

Much faster then the .3 seconds minimum.

Mike

Last edited:
You have to logout for it to take affect. All the other settings are in ms. I couldn't tell you why flags needs to 59 but it does. You will want to make AutoRepeatRate lower to speed it up. The default 500 means it will repeat every 500ms.

You have to logout for it to take affect. All the other settings are in ms. I couldn't tell you why flags needs to 59 but it does. You will want to make AutoRepeatRate lower to speed it up. The default 500 means it will repeat every 500ms.
You already said that:
and of course that I did it. I had to close every running application and save work before, but after I logged in with my user accout, when windows started, firstly I opened notepad, typed some text and then tried to delete all of it, by holding down the Backspace key, but only 1 character was deleted, all the others remained. But thanks for providing me the extra information I requested! I will try to make use of it and log out again. I don't like to log out, but I will do whatever it takes to correct this issue.

Hi

On my computer opening Keyboard Properties in Control Panel give me a tab labeled Speed.

It has sliders for Repeat Delay and Repeat Rate.
Setting the Repeat Rate to Fast makes using the backspace key go really quickly on my computer.

Changing the Repeat Delay slows the interval between the first and second keystroke.

I have both set to fast because of Gaming were I want to be able to repeat keys very quickly.

Mike
Thanks for your reply. I also have these two settings, but it seems that they are ignored, i.e. no matter where I track the button from Long to Short and from Short to Long, and from Slow to Fast and from Fast to Slow, they doesn't affect my keyboard at all and this is my true problem.

How long should the computer wait before accepting subsequent repeated keystrokes?
AND
How long should the computer wait before accepting the first repeated keystroke?

ARE the settings that affect my keyboard. If I turn off Repeat Keys, the Backspace deletes only 1 character on every single press. They are new and exist only in windows 10. I hate these two settings! I want to use the Repeat Delay and Repeat Rate settings, not these two stupid and idiot questions in windows 10! They use ComboBox and DropDownList controls, which are very limited, while Repeat Delay and Repeat Rate use Trackbar controls, which are unlimited or much less limited at least. I need to tell windows that I want to use the hardware settings for my keyboard, not it's own, but I don't know how to do this. Please tell me. Hardware was always better than Software.

Hi

On my computer they do make a difference, if I set them to slow, they are really, really slow.
If I set them to fast they are much faster.

My test that I added to my previous post is a close as I can figure for measuring how fast it is.

I'm so used to selecting and deleting anything over a couple of words that I never really noticed how long it takes to backspace.

Mike

Going through the GUI the sliders adjust the delay from 3 seconds to 250ms and the repeat is between 1 - 31 repeats per second.

Solved Holding down Backspace erasing typed text too slow - Windows 10 Forums

There someone told me that I should turn off:
"Ignore or slow down brief or repeated keystrokes and adjust keyboard repeat rates"

I did this and my Backspace erasing text fast as it always did while depressed (held down). If switch is ON, then windows uses it's own settings for keyboard and ignore the hardware settings and otherwise if it's OFF, i.e. use hardware settings for keyboard, not what windows 10 suggest.
That's solved my problem. :)

My brand new laptop with Windows 10, now erases entire strings of words, when I hold down the backspace key. What is happening? Windows up to now used to let me hold down the backspace key to erase one character at a time. Do I have to slow something down in the Control Panel???

Back
Top Bottom