Insider Preview Home Group between Win 8, win 10 and Win 7

Discussion in 'Windows 10 Help and Support' started by davidhk129, Nov 14, 2014.

1. davidhk129

davidhk129 Senior Member

I have 2 laptops......
    1. Running Win 8.1 Pro solely.
    2. Running dual boot Win 7 and Win 10 TP Enterprise 9879.

All 3 OSs have joined the home group.
    My problem is........ Win 8.1 and Win 10 can see each other as well as Win 7, BUT Win 7 can't see them.

I had read some time ago that Win 7 can join Win 8 but only Win 8 can see win 7, not the other way around.
    True ?
    If not, what is the solution ?

2. ussnorway

ussnorway Windows Forum Team
    Staff Member Premium Supporter

True… there are work arounds but it depends on what you want shared because windows is anal about which system is in charge of the network.

Simple option, get a router that allows usb drives (tp-link wdr4300) then put a 16 g usb stick into it and any windows can read/ write to the stick by default…. Ubuntu can also but that takes some extra mucking around.

bassfisher6522 likes this.
  3. bassfisher6522

bassfisher6522 Essential Member

Really, I had no idea....I'll be doing that for sure. Would that work for a USB HDD?

4. davidhk129

davidhk129 Senior Member

Thank you.

5. ussnorway

ussnorway Windows Forum Team
    Staff Member Premium Supporter

Yes most modern usb drive cases are windows share compatible now days, for example;

Work gave me a Toshiba 500g (canvio) drive… this drive is formatted as a ntsf and has its own usb3 cable.
    canvio.

Step 1; plug the usb cable into one of my two usb ports on the back of my Tp-link wdr4300 router and open the web browser to see that the drive is detected by the router.

Step 2; Decide how you want to share the files… for home windows use I recommend a mapped network as this is simple while still being safe i.e. you can just un-plug the drive to take to a m8's house without mucking up your file system and then it will reconnect when you plug it back in again.

Step 3; Open the map drive wizard… I'll use my windows 8.1 but it looks almost the same in any version of windows.
    Screenshot (46).

Step 4; Pick a drive letter for the mapped drive, I'll pick T for Toshiba and type \\####### (192.168.0.1 is the internal number for my router) then \%%%%% (name of the share as it appears in the router browser window)… tp-link routers name shares as volume 1, 2 etc but all routers work in a simular way and yes you can change the share name to work drive or something else but for simple setup this is fine.
    Screenshot (44).
    Step 5; the drive is now seen by the router as an everyone permissions share and windows (in this example) sees it as the T drive.

Screenshot (45).

Note 1, there are other ways to share a drive across windows machine but again I recommend mapping for any usb drive i.e. non-permanent because the other methods can get upset when the drive disappears.

Note 2, my tplink router is only a usb 2 port so that slows down the transfer of files to the hdd but if I un-plug it and connect it into a usb3 port at a m8's house then I would get the full speed again… personally I find the 16g stick ($20) is plenty for sharing music and photo between my home systems and my daughter would soon full up a 500g drive with junk but your needs may be different.

6. bassfisher6522

bassfisher6522 Essential Member

Way cool ussnorway! Thanks.

You might want to dress that up a bit and stick that in the tutorial section of the forum.....nice job.