Windows 7 home group keeps setting itself up

nilknoc

Home group in windows 7 pro keeps becoming active after I leave the home group. After reboot it is active again even after I disabled it. Anyone have any ideas what might cause this. I had to disable it in the services to get it to stop becoming active.

When the service is running, and you go to the Network and Sharing dialog, HomeGroup in lower left corner, what options are available on that page?

Mine shows a "Create a homegroup" button. There is also a troubleshooter there which might help.

You do not say if you ever used a homegroup, but during an intall it is easy to create one because the option is a little deceptive. But if you leave the homegroup after one was started, it should go away, but it is always available.

Do you have any other computers on your network running a homegroup?

Home group in windows 7 pro keeps becoming active after I leave the home group. After reboot it is active again even after I disabled it. Anyone have any ideas what might cause this. I had to disable it in the services to get it to stop becoming active.

Home group becomes active because the (file/folder/printer) resources are being shared with member of the groups. You have persistent share resources. You can stop the sharing by changing the key (best bet) or turn-off network discovery. Once the share is broken, you can examine other computers to see where you are sharing your resources.... share printer is the common cause.

Back