Windows 7 homegroup -- disabling WLAN partition?

touched

Hi, another homegroup problem here. Basically, I can create a homegroup on either of my two computers, but I can't join them. It'll just say 'there are no homegroups in this network'.

I've followed all the instructions here, including disabling mcafee and norton which seems to be a commonly suggested solution. Still doesn't work. Maybe I didn't disable mcafee and norton properly? (I opened Start, searched for 'services.msc', clicked services and disabled the programs.)

Then I came across Link Removed - Invalid URL which brought up something I hadn't done, i.e. disable WLAN partition. Apparently WLAN partition prevents computers from communicating with each other even if they're linked by the same wireless network. Assuming WLAN partition is the only thing standing in between me and homegroup awesomeness now, could anyone tell me how to follow this instruction:

1. Login to DIR-600 setup page, default url is http://192.168.0.1, default username is admin and empty password.

And/or if there're other things I should be doing, please tell me. Help is much appreciated!

Last edited:
When setting up you network did you change the name of the network? On XP computers it's called MSN, workgroup and needs to be changed to homegroup. On 7 it's homegroup.

I see your running both McAfee and Norton, are they both Anti-Virus software? If they are you going to run into a lot of problems. You can only have one Anti-Virus app running at a time. Also those two are resourse hogs, I would recommend getting rid of both of them and using MSE (Microsoft Security Essintals) or Avast, both are lite and free.

When setting up you network did you change the name of the network? On XP computers it's called MSN, workgroup and needs to be changed to homegroup. On 7 it's homegroup.

I see your running both McAfee and Norton, are they both Anti-Virus software? If they are you going to run into a lot of problems. You can only have one Anti-Virus app running at a time. Also those two are resourse hogs, I would recommend getting rid of both of them and using MSE (Microsoft Security Essintals) or Avast, both are lite and free.

I didn't set up the network, my dad did, so he might know something I don't... I don't get what you mean though, isn't the name of the network just supposed to be whatever we name it? Like in our case it's just, say, 'Our family network'. I also set them both to 'Home', as opposed to work or public.

Yeah it's two anti-virus software. I'm just using McAfee cuz there's a free 30 day trial... switching to Norman Security Suite after that. I'll check out MSE and Avast though, thanks.

Back
Top Bottom