Windows 7 Homegroup over dLAN

kevvyb

Hi

I have been using Windows 7 HomeGroup successfully for some time to share data between my desktop and notebook. However, I have just acquired a Develo DLAN Homeplug 200 AV Plus. I have this connecting ok BUT the HomeGroup does not get 'loaded' or recognised over the dLan

Is there something obvious that I am missing?

When you go into a Windows Explorer window, and click 'Network' on the left, are the other computers on the network visible, and vice-versa?

If not:
  • Make sure all computers are a part of the same Workgroup (You can edit the workgroup by right clicking 'Computer' in the start menu, clicking 'Properties' and then clicking 'Change Settings' next to the Computer Information section)
  • Make sure all the computers have their network location set to 'Home' (You can change or check this by clicking the start menu and searching for 'Network and Sharing Center')
  • Try restarting all the routers or network switches in between the internet and all the computers on the network
  • Make sure all the computers on the network have different names (Again, you can check this by going to the computer properties, this is the same as checking the workgroup)
If none of these steps work, take a look at this: I cannot connect desktop pc to homegroup via wired lan - Microsoft Answers

Hi

Thanks for your reply. In meantime not sure if success in gettign HomeGroup recognised on both machines is anything to do with what I did or if it was just down to HomeGroup just being it's tardy self with a new configuration. The HomeGroup connection came through on both machines after I had set Ethernet MAC Filter to allow the mac addresses of both devices.

However, don't think it was anything to do with this reconfiguration as prior to that there was no MAC address filtering applied at all.

I always find HomeGroup just takes it time after boot to become recognised on both machines (wired or wireless). There seems to be no rhyme or reason as to which gets there first. Adding these dLans maybe just seemed to make it even slower. As an aside is there any way to speed up HomeGroup recognition following boot?

Kevin

Hi

Thanks for your reply. In meantime not sure if success in gettign HomeGroup recognised on both machines is anything to do with what I did or if it was just down to HomeGroup just being it's tardy self with a new configuration. The HomeGroup connection came through on both machines after I had set Ethernet MAC Filter to allow the mac addresses of both devices.

However, don't think it was anything to do with this reconfiguration as prior to that there was no MAC address filtering applied at all.

I always find HomeGroup just takes it time after boot to become recognised on both machines (wired or wireless). There seems to be no rhyme or reason as to which gets there first. Adding these dLans maybe just seemed to make it even slower. As an aside is there any way to speed up HomeGroup recognition following boot?

Kevin

Not that I'm aware of no, HomeGroup just likes to take its time! :)

Back