Windows 7 How can I disable my teenager's user account from accessing the command prompt? He's always trying t

SagebrushJane

1. How do I disable the command prompt for a standard user account on my computer?
2. Can my geeky teenager get around Windows7 parental controls by using the command prompt from his standard account on my computer?

Last edited by a moderator:
Use Local Group Policy to Prevent Command Line Access

1. How do I disable the command prompt for his account only?
2. Can one get around Windows 7 parental controls using the command prompt from a restricted user account?

Although this will not be an easy task, here is what you need to do. Access local group policy settings on the system.

Go to Start -> Search -> gpedit.msc

Alternatively, you can hit Windows Key + R to launch Run -> gpedit.msc

Navigate:
User Configuration
System

On the right-window pane, double-click "Prevent access to the command prompt" and enable.

Restart the computer.

Image attached.

You can use the local group policy editor to control nearly every aspect of the system, including performing actions which Parental Controls could never do. However, these changes are often global by nature and may restrict your access as well. Be advised that they can always be turned on and off, but care should be taken when using Local Group Policy.

These techniques are usually not used locally, and are very often done through server policies on domain networks in a business environment. But it will work on a local system.

1. How do I disable the command prompt for a standard user account on my computer?
2. Can my geeky teenager get around Windows7 parental controls by using the command prompt from his standard account on my computer?

Simple, Go run (Ctrl+R)
Type gpedit.msc
- User Configuration
- Administrative Templates
- All Settings
- Configure "Prevent access to the command prompt" (change state from Not configured)

Not finding gpedit.msc either way...

Hi guys,

Thanks for your help. I'm having a little trouble getting started, though. Maybe I'm missing something.

If I press the Start button and then enter "gpedit.msc" in the Search field and press Enter, I get a navigation screen and it says on the top, "No items match your search."

If I press the Windows button + R and then type in "gpedit.msc" and press Enter, I get an error that says "Windows cannot find 'gpedit.msc. Make sure you typed the name correctly, and then try again.

Thanks for sticking with me on this. I guess I need to learn a few things.

SagebrushJane

Hi guys,

Thanks for your help. I'm having a little trouble getting started, though. Maybe I'm missing something.

If I press the Start button and then enter "gpedit.msc" in the Search field and press Enter, I get a navigation screen and it says on the top, "No items match your search."

If I press the Windows button + R and then type in "gpedit.msc" and press Enter, I get an error that says "Windows cannot find 'gpedit.msc. Make sure you typed the name correctly, and then try again.

Thanks for sticking with me on this. I guess I need to learn a few things.

SagebrushJane

Wierd..... gpedit.msc is in c:\windows\system32 (among other places). Search for it in windows explorer and double-click it to start the process.

Unfortunately the second part of your question is double edged. No your kid cannot get around parental controls with cmd if he is a standard user (I've tried myself), but even with removing cmd with the method that had been suggested your kid COULD insert a bootable operating system, edit some files, and make it possible to access cmd from the login page (I've done this). Using this he could upgrade his account to administrator (and downgrade yours to basic) and turn off parental controls. The only way to keep him from doing this would be to set the boot order to Hard drive first then protect the bios with a password.

Wierd..... gpedit.msc is in c:\windows\system32 (among other places). Search for it in windows explorer and double-click it to start the process.
Unless you are running Home Premium or below. What system are you running?

Back