Windows 8 How can you keep the calculator on the window you are viewing?

terryleemartin

In Windows 7 you were able to open up a Website or some other window and hit the calculator key on your keyboard, or open the calculator some other way, and it would hover above the window you were viewing. With Windows 8, when you open the calculator, it takes you to the desktop. If you are trying to add up items on a screen, you can't do that anymore. Unless someone has figured it out ----

Try finding a calculator via the Store. They may have one that works in the Modern UI?

Let me know Terry if you don't find some thing that works for you..

Kemical -- the one that works the best for me is called Snap Calculator. You can snap it to the side and it only cost $1.49. It's worth it.

In Windows 7 you were able to open up a Website or some other window and hit the calculator key on your keyboard, or open the calculator some other way, and it would hover above the window you were viewing. With Windows 8, when you open the calculator, it takes you to the desktop. If you are trying to add up items on a screen, you can't do that anymore. Unless someone has figured it out ----

Hmm, are you talking about the gadget calculator or the actual accessory calculator? If you're looking for a desktop program (not a Windows 8 app), for a calculator that stays on top, that's just a simple property for the window drawn out by the Win32API. I could create a program that would send a message to this:

mWqdF.png

Calculator, telling it to stay on top of all other Windows if someone wanted that. Otherwise I think the program AutoHotKey or whatever it was called, can be scripted to do the same?

edit: I'm probably way off with what you were trying to do here though if you were talking about that desktop gadget... Sorry. :cold:

~Ace

Hi

I'm running Windows 8 Pro and I'm not seeing that happen.
I just clicked it on my keyboard and it opened on top of the window I'm in.

Calculator.JPG

Mike

Okay, so I know this is an old thread. But for those who still wonders.
Windows 8 have two types of calculator. One is the app and the other one is the normal desktop calculator. Just do Windowsflag + S and search for "calculator".

Back