How Do I Close the on screen keyboard?

Hermitkrab

Honorable Member
I like to use the on screen keyboard (OSK) when typing passwords into my banking sites in order to thwart keyloggers. The problem I'm having is closing the program. If I click on the "fade" key on the OSK, the keyb oard will disappear below the screen. However, if I attempt anything else on the PC the keyboard reappears, covering much of the lower half of the screen. The only way to shut down the OSK completely is by using Task Manager. It seems to me there must be a better way. Any thoughts? Thanks.

Toshiba L55-A5226 laptop, W10 Home, Anniv. edition

Hi Hermit,
Well, on my W10 Pro 64bit v1703 b15063.296, the OSK shows up and has a nice "X" in the upper right-hand corner that you should be able to use to close it, as shown here:

OSK Screenshot2.JPG

If that little close "X" isn't there, it could be that the OSK applet is damaged. You can try to reinstall, buy I would run some Windows repairs after first backing up all your personal data to external media. Such as:

KEMICAL’S WINDOWS GENERAL 3-STEP REPAIR

JAN 8, 2017

Hi,
you could try running DISM in CMD mode after running chkdsk and sfc commands:
**MARC ADDED: “CHKDSK C: /F”
File scans
Right click on the Start menu icon and from the revealed list choose 'admin command prompt'. Type:
sfc /scannow
press enter and await results

In the same command prompt and after the above scan has finished type:
dism /online /cleanup-image /restorehealth
Press enter and await results (longer this time).

If the first scan found files it could not repair but the second scan is successful, run the first scan again using the same command prompt box and this time it should repair the files found.

This doesn't always work, sometimes viruses/malware can keep an applet from displaying all it's normal functions. If the problem persists, make sure to scan with your AV program and scan/remove all viruses found. Next visit piriform.com and download the free Malwarebytes (MBAM) antispyware. Repeat the scan/remove process to remove all spyware viruses found. Reboot your PC and retest. If the problem goes away, you simply had a virus that attacked that OSK applet, and it is now fixed! :up:

If no viruses are found, or you found them and removed them and the applet is still not working right; you might have to try a more drastic approach such as using the built-in SYSTEM RESTORE, Windows Reset This PC, or the dreaded W10 factory Recovery reinstallation. Prior to doing the last 2 items, it's always best to test your hardware for failures. To do this yourself, see my free TROUBLESHOOTING GUIDE here to step you through the process: Windows 10 - Unclickable Task Bar
This really should be done for the Reset or Reinstallation options, as if you have a hardware failure such as a RAM stick or Hard Drive, resetting the PC or reinstalling W10 won't fix it: No software on the planet can fix broken hardware!

It's worth noting that the 2nd half of the TROUBLESHOOTING GUIDE will step you through the Reset This PC or Reinstallation process.

Let us know if you get stuck or have any questions along the way!

Best,:encouragement:
<<<BIGBEARJEDI>>>>

BigBearJedi: Piriform.com doesn't have Malwarebytes.

Sent from my LGMS631 using Tapatalk

Well, you just need to click the x button on the upper left and it would be close. You could open it again by double tapping on the screen.

Yes, Big Bear, clicking on the X worked. I thought it was a multiplication symbol. Pretty dumb, eh! :rolleyes:

" I clicked on that link. Jack, and it doesn't work. "

thanks for the note, hermitkrab … just rechecked, and all my browsers viewed without incident. however, i have uploaded both *.png and *.pdf files for you to view. pls remember to scan the items before viewing. hi-five.

ref:
virustotal.com

Attachments

• askleo.png
    askleo.png
    898.4 KB · Views: 277
  • askleo.pdf
    3.8 MB · Views: 399
If a keylogger hooks in the right place, virtual keyboard key strokes can just as easily be intercepted as a regular keyboard.

Yes, Big Bear, clicking on the X worked. I thought it was a multiplication symbol. Pretty dumb, eh! :rolleyes:
>>>> No problem, Hermit! That's Great my solution and reply helped you fix it! :up: Not dumb at all! :ohyea: All of us need a little help once in a while and this is a great place to find it. I've gotten help here on more problems than I can count--that's why I help to keep it running (WF) by donating every year.<<<<

Happy Computing! :computer:
Happy Memorial Day!:usa:

BBJ

Thanks, Jack. That was good info in those links you sent. BTW, copying and pasting passwords doesn't always work. Some sites, especially those of a financial nature, won't allow copy and paste. You gotta type the password.

Back
Top Bottom