Windows 7 How do I disable mouse gestures?

iMissWinXP

Extraordinary Member
How do I disable mouse gestures in win7?

This feature drives me crazy. God win7 sucks.

I dont want win7 to minimize my windows, EVER unless I tell it to, not because it thinks I did some sort of gesture with my mouse.

And when I try to maximize something, it should maximize it, not just vertically.

Aero Shake ?

I think you mean the "Aero Shake Feature" ? It can minimize all running windows except the one which you are working on using a simple mouse shake. Many people don't like the new feature.

How to disable

1. Type in gpedit.msc in RUN or Start Menu Search Box and press Enter. I'll open Group Policy Editor.

2. Now navigate to:

User Configuration-->Administrative Templates-->Desktop

3. In Right Side Panel, double click on "Turn Off" Aero Shake window minimizing gesture option and set its value to "Enabled".

4. Thats it. It'll immediately disable Aero Shake in your system (See Picture Below) If for any reason it doesn't work, there is a registry edit that can be used. Write back.....

Attachments

• Local.JPG
    Local.JPG
    116 KB · Views: 1,967
tnx that works, hopefully its what was causing my minimization...

Here are my other biggest issues with win7:

1# Get the old style menu when you right click on an item in the taskbar? So if I right click on firefox I want to get a menu "close, maximuze, restore, etc). Right now im presented with stuff I wont EVER use (like "pin this program").

2# Taskbar: How do I stop items from sorting themselves? If I open a folder, I want it added to the right, not added beside the other folders.

3# Folders: How do I stop items from auto sorting themselves? This is especially annoying when you have a folder with MANY times and you arent sure what the name of the file you just copied over.

4# Folders: How do I disable the "left bar" in them and bring back folder "favorite" menu?

5# In XP each folder remembered the location it was open on your desktop. In win7 every folder uses a single value. So if I had a shortcut to a folder called "work" in XP and only open up work on my active window it would always open up in same location on my active desktop. On the other hand, if I had a shortcut to a folder called "Sanity" on my extended desktop, windows would open sanity in that window. But with win7 I lose my sanity because it will take the location of previous folder (and its up opening up in another monitor that has been closed, forcing me to get up out of my comfortable bed).

Replace Task-bar Jump List ?

I hope I'm following you....

If you Right Click Task-bar Icon you get to see a "Jump List". This feature allows you to pin and unpin a program etc. to the Icon (But you cannot Restore, Minimize or Maximize the application directly as you were able to do in Vista or XP.

However, there is a simple trick to view and use these options:

Press Shift+Right Click on an icon to view the Restore, Minimize, Maximize and Close menu options.

Press Shift+Right Click on the grouped icons to view the Restore All, and Close All etc menu options.

Press Shift+Left Click or simply Middle Click on an icon to open up a new instance of that application.

Press CTRL+Shift Left Click to open an application as an administrator.

I'll have to examine your other questions ......

Attachments

• Jump List 1.JPG
    Jump List 1.JPG
    39.1 KB · Views: 628
  • figure 2.JPG
    figure 2.JPG
    21 KB · Views: 672
  • figure 3.JPG
    figure 3.JPG
    24.3 KB · Views: 696
Sort

You can not disable auto-sort. You might want to check this out: Welcome to Classic Shell

Read the section called features. I'm not sure how much of it you can use with Firefox...

Last edited:
shift-right does work and will save me time, but it would be nice if it did this by default. I will never pin anything.... Its like Microsoft is forcing people to use what they think EVERYONE will like :\

Classic Explorer in Classic Shell seems interesting, but it did not resolve any of my folder issues :( There are some changes I do like in Win7 (granted its a short list), I just hate everything "new" and "improved" in win7 that makes my life harder :(

I dont understand how Microsoft could screw up so badly. After all the bashing they took, all the people they are losing to macs and Linux, and all the people who miss XP you would think they would make Win7 more customizable and user friendly. Instead we get "features" shoved down our throats.

Have You Actually Tried The Shell ?

Many people who have used the "shell" say it fixes many, if not all their folder problems.

It does seem to have some changes, but none of them that I need....

I am still looking for a way to permentetly bring back winxp right click on taskbar menu. The win7 is starting to drive me up the wall...

No, I got 6 GB of ram, and 64 bit XP hasnt been releasing updates for a while... On top of that id lose DX10 and DX11.

I want favorites added to the menu bar. I dont care if they are IE favorites (I dont use them because I use Firefox).

Back
Top Bottom