Windows 8 How do I find the images, when I use Print Screen?

MikeHawthorne

Essential Member
Microsoft Community Contributor
Hi

I normally use the snipping tool but that doesn't work with open menus or Metro.

I'm pretty sure that it's doing it, I see a brief burst of hard drive activity when I hit the Print Screen button.

But I can't figure out where they go, since I don't know what they are called I can't search for them.
Also is there a way to specify where they are saved to someplace?

Mike

Print screen saves to the clipboard. You need to paste it into something after that. For a quicky, I use Paint.

Give Picpick a try.
It's a free program. Some call it a " poorman's SnagIt "
You'll like it.

I have both SnagIt and Picpick. I use Picpick almost exclusively.

Last edited:
To elaborate what davehc has said.......

hit Print Screen button > open Paint > top left, hit Paste or the clipboard icon

Image 1.png

Hi

Thanks, I assumed that they got saved someplace like Fraps or the Snipping Tool.
I always used FRAPS for this but they've never gotten it fixed so that it will work with Windows 8.

Mike

Alternatively, if you want to snip open menus, use Jing. That you can program to a function key and you get results like below. I would have given you the link but I am currently in Europe and cannot find the Jing homepage.

Here is a little tutorial I made a while ago.

2014-07-31_2203.png

Attachments

• 2014-07-31_2203.png
    2014-07-31_2203.png
    68.1 KB · Views: 238
Mike....
If you hold the Windows Logo Key and hit the print screen key the pictures are automatically saved in you users\username\pictures\screenshots as screenshot(#).png which you can open with a bunch of different viewers

Mike....
If you hold the Windows Logo Key and hit the print screen key the pictures are automatically saved in you users\username\pictures\screenshots as screenshot(#).png which you can open with a bunch of different viewers

Thanks... I didn't know that.

Hey. Good one Trouble. We learn things still!. Experimenting, I see it does it for the desktop or the Windows Metro .Mike can then, at his leisure, use a paint program to edit/snip, the part he wants.

Last edited:
This shortcut, fascinated me. If anyone finds it inconvenient to go three folders deep to look at your "Print Screen" shots, I have found out you can even move it. It is so simple:
Right-click the “Screenshots” folder and then the “Properties” option. Click on the “Location” tab and then on the “Move” button. - Done. I now have a convenient root folder for my screen saves.

Hey David......
Since I know what a proponent of the Start Screen Menu you are, I'm sort of surprised that you just didn't go to where it is normally located and right click it and choose "pin to start". Seems like that might be another handy alternative.

Hi Guys

Hey!, it worked, only took a minute to get from print screen to here...

Screenshot11_zps40e92061.png

Pretty neat!

Now I'll just make a link to the folder so I don't have to go look for it and I'll be all set.

Mike

Hey David......
Since I know what a proponent of the Start Screen Menu you are, I'm sort of surprised that you just didn't go to where it is normally located and right click it and choose "pin to start". Seems like that might be another handy alternative.
Yeh. Well:
1. Excited at finding something new to play with.
2. Getting old.

Thanks Trouble.

I made a link to the Print Screen folder in my Favorites so it's right there when I need it.

Works great.

Back