Windows 8 How do I get rid of Google Chrome App?

MikeHawthorne

Essential Member
Microsoft Community Contributor
Hi

I made the mistake of selecting the Google Chrome App.

It's terrible!

I want to go back to my old Google Chrome but I can't find a way to do it.
I uninstalled Chrome, downloaded a new install file and reinstalled it and it still opens the app.

How do I stop it?

Mike

Hi Mike,

do you mean chrome in metro? Do you want to go back to IE in metro and chrome on the desktop?

Hi Kemical

Yes I wan't to go back to using the Chrome browser the way I used to.
Using it in Metro just makes everything harder.

You can't minimize it Downloading is harder, and it hangs all the time.

I just want to go back to the way it was.

Who decided that it was easier to drag the windows to close it then just click a little (now missing) button.

How do you remove an app once you have it.

I tried uninstalling and reinstalling Chrome but it still opens the app, even when I click on the link on the desktop.

Mike

Ok, the easiest way I know of doing it is this.

Remove chrome icons completely from the desktop, Taskbar and then go into Internet options (via control panel) and make IE the default browser again.
Now you should find that metro IE is enabled again.
To get chrome on the desktop again, find the chrome icon, right click it and pin to the task bar. When you click on the chrome tab in the taskbar you'll get a prompt (this prompt relates to metro only and not default browser). Make sure you choose IE otherwise this will place chrome in metro again so watch for this prompt especially. (note, this will not make chrome the default browser and whilst you can use it on the desktop etc, if anything like a link wants to open a browser then of course it will open IE. Just be ready for that)

The thing is before I unwisely said OK to using Chrome Metro it worked fine, and it was the default browser.
I used it that way for a year on my old computer with Windows 8.

I'll try what you suggested.

Why did anyone think this an improvement over the old one.

You can't minimize it, something I do a lot, you can't close it with a click and it hangs on me, the old one never did that.
I don't like the way it handles downloads either, it used to be so simple.

And you can't see the task-bar so you can't access the other software I use when I'm online.

Mike

Hi

A variation of what you suggested got me back where I want to be.
I uninstalled Google Chrome, removes all the icons from everywhere, and then I downloaded it in Internet Explorer and re-installed it. I then removed all the icons on the Start page.

I opened it from the desktop and when it asked me if I wanted to make it the default browser I said yes.

Now when I open it from the desktop it's fine.

I won't have any icons on the start page so I won't make the mistake of opening it from there again.
I think that's what got me into this mess to start with.

Thanks for the help.

Mike

Glad you got it right again. I use chrome but don't like it in metro nor as my default browser as some Microsoft sites won't play nice unless you use IE.

I'm afraid it reverted and I'm back where I was again.
This never happened in the beta versions.

Mike

Mike,

> Start
Rt Clk the Chrome Tile
Hit, Uninstall, on the Bar @ the bottom of the Start screen. You need to uninstall the Store APP version of Chrome.

Uninstalling from Programs & Features removes the browser.

Once it, the desktop version, is installed you tell it or IE to be the default browser.

You have to deal w/ the APP version & the Desktop versions separately. Both will or can show Tiles on Start.

And this like this (note top section)
Screenshot (60).JPG

I have IE, FF, Chrome installed, none of your issues... and that is not using APPs for any of them, just usual desktop browsers.

Cheers,
Drew
new_windows_logo1.jpg

Here's how I finally got it to work.

I uninstalled Internet Explorer and Chrome.

I reinstalled Chrome, and set it as default browser.

Then I reinstalled IE and when asked if I wanted it to be default browser I said no.

Now both work from the desktop without using Metro, and when I click a link it opens in Chrome.

IE still won't open my home page, but I've always had stuff like this with Internet Explorer, it's why I use Chrome.

Mike

Hi

If you mean a switch for whether it is default or not that didn't help, but if you mean there is a way to tell it not to use the Metro app that would be great?

Mike

You got it, Mike; that's what I meant. But, what I don't follow... is I have Chrome, as well as IE10, but, no APP for it, only the desktop browser. I rarely use Chrome but, I do have it. No Win8 Store APP, though.

I, also, have FF but, only as a desktop browser, no Store APP.

Far as I know, neither are (available) Store APPs

What is your home page that won't load in IE?

Cheers,
Drew
new_windows_logo1.jpg

Hi Drew

My Comcast, Xfinity home page.
It's what I've always used as my home page but it won't load in Internet Explorer.

XFINITY by Comcast -- Official Customer Site | Email | Watch TV Online

I get some message about compatibility, and then it just stays blank.
If I keep trying to force it to open I.E. crashes.

As far as Chrome goes I have both it and I.E. working outside of Metro now.
And Chrome has no problem with my home page.

Mike

Mike,

From your link here it is in IE10. No lack of compatibility, no making IE crash. And that's w/out Compatibility Mode.

Just thought, I give it a shot, whatever you'd told me it was.

Screenshot (61).JPG

Cheers,
Drew
new_windows_logo1.jpg

Back