Windows 7 How do I get rid of Windows 7??

payback45

I want to go back to XP. I have a XP CD and when I try to boot from it I get a message saying it cannot find a hard drive to install XP and I must quit instilation. How do I get rid of Windows 7?? Is there a way to format C drive and start over??

download Gparted iso, burn it to disk and boot from that.
its a standalone small os, just for partitioning and formatting.

with GParted you should be able to format everything, just dont forget to backup your files previously ;)

Why give up so soon?????

Windows 7 is hugely better than other OS's.

You gave to get to the command prompt to format the drive where Windows 7 is located.

If you use Repair my computer, you'll notice it shows X:\windows\system32. You need to find the exact drive or partion before you reformat, My drive changed from C: to D:

If you must, you can get step-by-step instructions here:
Link Removed - Invalid URL

I want to go back to XP. I have a XP CD and when I try to boot from it I get a message saying it cannot find a hard drive to install XP and I must quit instilation. How do I get rid of Windows 7?? Is there a way to format C drive and start over??
Well, I got rid of Windows 7 because of a couple problems like not being able to use my printer and also I lost Internet Explorer and it wouldn't let me reinstall it, thus, everywhere I went or wanted to download anything, it said I didn't have a valid operating system. In order for me to go back to XP, I contacted the manufactuer of my pc (HP) and they sent me a restoration kit consisting of about 11 discs, it took five hours, buyt it brought my pc back to its' original factory settings and now I am one happy camper. I will wait for the finished product of WIndows 7. I like Windows 7 and its' potential, far better than Vista. Good Luck, RIc GIbson

I kept tapping the F8 key (although this may be different for other manufacturer's computers) and came to the screen which show the Safe Mode, Safe Mode with Networking, etc. Then chose the first option which is Repair your system, and then choose the Command Prompt option and typed in format c:

You'll notice you'll be at the X:\windows\system32 directory.

You'll have to do a dir /p switch and choose directories D: or E:., then do a dir /p to locate the actual partition where it's installed. now switch back to the X:windows\system32 and type format (name of drive)

In other words if you windows partition is located in D:, you would type format D: and hit enter.

NOTE: Make sure you have the proper drive where windows 7 was installed

I think all these post saying Windows 7 is better etc are NOT what the OP is asking -- What we think doesn't actually matter here - the OP wants to re-install XP -- for whatever reason (actually some stuff still doesn't run on W7 however much we like it) so it's quite legit for the user to return to a previous OS -- this W7 IS a BETA after all. He might in any case have done all the testing he needs to so it's not necessarily about "giving up".

Anyway the real problem is that the SATA drivers need to be "Slipstreamed" on to your Windows XP install disk - Windows XP doesn't come with these already on the disk. Modern computers use SATA disk drives (especially laptops) and not IDE so Windows won't of course find any disks.

So first you need to update Windows XP to AT LEAST SP2 level .

Now you need to get the SATA drivers for your computer --download these from the INTEL site -- you need to download the CHIPSET drivers for your board .

Slipstream these into your Windows XP -- use nLite for the slipstreaming -- or just google -- loads of info on the web.

Hopefully you've got a working computer somewhere with Net access so you can download this stuff.

On the Intel site there's a utility to identify your chipset --chipsetutil.exe. You'll probably find it's something like ICH7 or ICH8 .

Cheers
jimbo

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom