Windows 7 How Do I Install Printers With XP Mode

pangasinan

Hi
I bought a computer with windows 7 home premium edition as the os.
went to install my 2 printers and they would not install :(.
Then read that if i upgrade to Windows 7 professional i could install the printer software using xp mode.
So i forked out another $200 to upgrade to Windows 7 Pro and now still cant install the printers.
The problem starts when the installation tells me to turn on the printers and the software will automatically detect the printers.But this does not happen,its the same problem with both printers.
Its as if XP mode does not recognize the usb ports.
My printers i want to install are the epson RX510 and the Canon i865.
Any suggestions would be appreciated..thanks

Steve

Yes i saw that in the Windows 7 Compatibility Center as well,but its wrong,i have tried several times to install on 7 but to no avail,the printers install ok on my xp computer but not this one,for example i am unable to install the epson drivers,a box appears that says "This program has known compatibility issues,check online to see if a solution is available from the microsoft website"",so i click the check on line button and it does not find a solution,now im back to square one ...thanks for the reply.

Last edited:
Hi
I bought a computer with windows 7 home premium edition as the os.
went to install my 2 printers and they would not install :(.
Then read that if i upgrade to Windows 7 professional i could install the printer software using xp mode.
So i forked out another $200 to upgrade to Windows 7 Pro and now still cant install the printers.
The problem starts when the installation tells me to turn on the printers and the software will automatically detect the printers.But this does not happen,its the same problem with both printers.
Its as if XP mode does not recognize the usb ports.
My printers i want to install are the epson RX510 and the Canon i865.
Any suggestions would be appreciated..thanks

Steve

When you went into xp mode did you try putting the drivers for your machine on first? If not, try uploading the xp version of your chipset drivers (when in xp mode of course).

When you went into xp mode did you try putting the drivers for your machine on first? If not, try uploading the xp version of your chipset drivers (when in xp mode of course).
Hi
How do i find the xp version of my chipset drivers ??
thanks

Hi Kemical
Thanks for the offer,i think i will take it up :up:.
What i can tell you is i have identified the motherboard using CPU-Z.
The manufacturer is MSI and model number is 2A9C
Detective Driver has identified 5 drivers out of date,they are:

ATI Radeon HD 5450
Realtek PCIe GBE Family Controller
ATI High Definition Audio Device
Realtek High Definition Audio
Epson Stylus Photo RX500/RX510 - 0000.001d.0000.001.006.000.000.000.000

Let me know if you need anymore info...thanks again.

Steve

Hi Steve,
thanks for the information.

For the chipset, try running this utility from Microsoft: http://downloadcenter.intel.com/Detail_Desc.aspx?agr=Y&ProdId=816&DwnldID=18494&lang=eng

Realtek PCIe GBE Family Controller:
Realtek

Realtek High Definition Audio:
Realtek

ATI Radeon HD 5450 and ATI High Def Audio (contained in same driver):
Downloads

Epson Stylus Photo RX500/RX510-Notice the Windows 7 drivers on this page... Have you tried these at all?
Epson Stylus Photo RX500, Drivers & Downloads - Technical Support - Epson America, Inc.

Ok I think that's all of them. If you need any further help please post again. :)

Hi
Thanks so much for the help Kemical.
I now have the canon i865 working in xp mode ,but not the epson RX510
The Epson is recognized in xp mode,but does work because xp mode does not recognize that it is turned on,it thinks the printer is turned off,even though its on.
The printer installation cd has a program it installs called " Ëpson Smart Panel" which is used to scan picture,docs etc.
But when i go to use it it says the printer is not turned on.
The same thing happens when i go to install the printer drivers,the installation tells me to turn on the printers and the software will automatically detect the printers.But this does not happen,even though the printer is turned on.
So i am unable to use the scanner and printer.
Is there a way for the xp mode to acknowledged that the printer is on ?
I tried running the chipset utility in xp mode but it would not work,it told me the computer does not meet the requirements.

thanks
Steve

Last edited:
erm... are you using/is there windows 7 drivers for your printers?

Basher

Hi
Thanks so much for the help Kemical.
I now have the canon i865 working in xp mode ,but not the epson RX510
The Epson is recognized in xp mode,but does work because xp mode does not recognize that it is turned on,it thinks the printer is turned off,even though its on.
The printer installation cd has a program it installs called " Ëpson Smart Panel" which is used to scan picture,docs etc.
But when i go to use it it says the printer is not turned on.
The same thing happens when i go to install the printer drivers,the installation tells me to turn on the printers and the software will automatically detect the printers.But this does not happen,even though the printer is turned on.
So i am unable to use the scanner and printer.
Is there a way for the xp mode to acknowledged that the printer is on ?
I tried running the chipset utility in xp mode but it would not work,it told me the computer does not meet the requirements.

thanks
Steve

Thanks for the info Steve. Apparently xp mode will not see automatically 'see' USB devices and the must be re-plugged in. If you check out this link it gives you the procedure on how to get the USB to 'see stuff':

Link Removed due to 404 Error

Hi Kemical
Thanks for the help,i am at the stage now where i can do what i need to do with my 2 printers,even though i could not get the smart panel to work.
I really appreciate the effort you have put in to help me...
thanks again

Steve

Back
Top Bottom