Windows 8 How do I install something on Windows 8?

Can you provide further details regarding this system that is the current problem?
Manufacturer Name, Model Name, Model Number (complete)

Is it a tablet, laptop, desktop???
My first experience with Windows 8.1 with Bing.
I've been doing some looking around and other people with that version of Windows 8 reporting similar problems have found that it is a product of some third party software.
So maybe look at your installed programs in Control Panel / Programs and features
See what's been installed by the OEM in the way of Security Suites and look for something called "Browser Protect" evidently a firefox addon which has been reported as producing similar problems.
Other than that it looks like Windows 8.1 with Bing is pretty much the same as regular old Windows 8.1 and you shouldn't be having these issues.

I actually don't believe that it's Windows' fault. I suspect some type of third party software is causing the problem.
Some over zealous security suite or program somewhere.
You said it's a new computer....
Can you take it back and ask the seller to install a program on it for you and see if he has the same issues as you're experiencing?

Alternately you may have some success doing a Clean Boot as described here.... https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/929135
However if it's a security product you may not actually be able to stop it without uninstalling it.

How old are the programs you are trying to install? If they are from the Win 98 era of computing then they may be 16-bit programs. 64-bit Windows 8 & 8.1 only supports running 32-bit and 64-bit programs. To start with, what version of MS Office are you trying to install? What OS did your older computer run?

I have been using Windows 8 & 8.1 since the earliest preview of Win 8 was released and I have been able to install everything I've tried.

I actually don't believe that it's Windows' fault. I suspect some type of third party software is causing the problem.
Some over zealous security suite or program somewhere.
You said it's a new computer....
Can you take it back and ask the seller to install a program on it for you and see if he has the same issues as you're experiencing?

Alternately you may have some success doing a Clean Boot as described here.... https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/929135
However if it's a security product you may not actually be able to stop it without uninstalling it.
Well, since I have installed it on 3 other computers, I'd say, yes, it's Windows' fault.

I got this computer about 3 months ago. I teach school and use my computer there but since school is now out, I'm just now needing to install the software at home.

How old are the programs you are trying to install? If they are from the Win 98 era of computing then they may be 16-bit programs. 64-bit Windows 8 & 8.1 only supports running 32-bit and 64-bit programs. To start with, what version of MS Office are you trying to install? What OS did your older computer run?

I have been using Windows 8 & 8.1 since the earliest preview of Win 8 was released and I have been able to install everything I've tried.
The Photoshop is a little old. It sucks that Windows can't create something that will still run something it has been running for 15 years.

The Office is 2007. Since each of these are all I need to do what I need to do, I shouldn't have to get anything that will do more just because Windows can't create something up to date that will still do what it has always done.

Since there are literally millions of Win 8.x users and you appear to be the only one that can't install their software, how can you say it's Windows fault?

You seem more interested in trying to point blame than on figuring what the issue is.

Office 2007 should install without any problems I believe on Windows 8.1
I can't speak to the Photoshop program as we don't seem to know the version.
It is most likely a third party software product installed on the device that is causing this problem or else it's a security / permissions issue which I wouldn't normally associate with that particular error.

If you don't like the look and feel of Windows 8.1 then you could always resort to something like Classic Shell from here http://classicshell.net/
Which may give you a more familiar interface to work from although it will do absolutely nothing in so far as resolving the problem.

Office 2007 I know will run on these systems without a problem: Vista, Windows 7, Windows 8 and 8.1. I also found it will run on Windows 10 Build 10122 and 10125 for now.

Since there are literally millions of Win 8.x users and you appear to be the only one that can't install their software, how can you say it's Windows fault?

You seem more interested in trying to point blame than on figuring what the issue is.
Nope. I'm not the only one that has this problem. I have heard of at least two others and haven't really talked to anyone about it.

Maybe try and read what has been said here.

Office 2007 should install without any problems I believe on Windows 8.1
I can't speak to the Photoshop program as we don't seem to know the version.
It is most likely a third party software product installed on the device that is causing this problem or else it's a security / permissions issue which I wouldn't normally associate with that particular error.

If you don't like the look and feel of Windows 8.1 then you could always resort to something like Classic Shell from here http://classicshell.net/
Which may give you a more familiar interface to work from although it will do absolutely nothing in so far as resolving the problem.
Sorry, the version of Photoshop is 7.0.

That may be somewhat helpful but I like to learn what is being used at the current time. If I use a look and feel of the "old" then when I get to another computer, I have to start all over again.

Well, they finally worked. What was different? I don't know. Well, Photoshop got half way through and crashed 3 times. I got Office to install. Where it put it is a mystery but I guess it's on the computer somewhere. Again, not user friendly.

Well, they finally worked. What was different? I don't know. Well, Photoshop got half way through and crashed 3 times. I got Office to install. Where it put it is a mystery but I guess it's on the computer somewhere. Again, not user friendly.
Install Classic Shell , this will give you the look and feel of windows 7. Click on the blue hyper link.
As I said, I don't want it. Thanks anyway.

by default......
On 64 bit system, depending on whether or not it is a 64 bit piece of software
C:\Program Files
For 32 bit software it will end up in
C:\Program Files (x86)

Unless you tell it to do otherwise.

by default......
On 64 bit system, depending on whether or not it is a 64 bit piece of software
C:\Program Files
For 32 bit software it will end up in
C:\Program Files (x86)

Unless you tell it to do otherwise.