Windows 8 How do I install something on Windows 8?

Yes..... well, that is not new or unique to Windows 8.1.
That's pretty much been the default install locations for software for a while now.

I would like to know where Windows 8 puts something when installed.
It puts it in the exact same place that it put it in previous Windows versions, "Program Files". The only "twist" is that on a 64-bit system, it puts 32-bit programs in "Program Files (x86)". It has been this way since Win XP 64-bit came out.

There really isn't a huge difference between Win 7 and Win 8 other than the optional Start screen and the absence of the Start menu. If lack of a Start menu is a major obstacle for you, install Classic Shell as suggested by bassfisher6522 above.

Yes..... well, that is not new or unique to Windows 8.1.
That's pretty much been the default install locations for software for a while now.
I realize that. But the thing about Windows over DOS is that it is easier to get to. If I have to get to it that way, I may as well be using DOS.

It puts it in the exact same place that it put it in previous Windows versions, "Program Files". The only "twist" is that on a 64-bit system, it puts 32-bit programs in "Program Files (x86)". It has been this way since Win XP 64-bit came out.

There really isn't a huge difference between Win 7 and Win 8 other than the optional Start screen and the absence of the Start menu. If lack of a Start menu is a major obstacle for you, install Classic Shell as suggested by bassfisher6522 above.
All I want to know is how the hell to get to it. There's no point in hiding it.

Not sure what you mean by "get to".
If you mean "using it" then the short cuts to the programs are on your start screen / all apps list. The down arrow on the bottom left of your start screen.

More than likely, the programs you installed also put an icon on your desktop so you can access it that way just as in previous versions of Windows. Nothing is hidden.

I encourage you to learn to use the search function. Search for the program you are looking for such as Excel or Word. In the list of results, click on the one you searched for to invoke it or you could right-click on the program you searched for and select "Pin to Taskbar" to put an icon for it on the Taskbar.

What version of Windows was on your older computer?

Not sure what you mean by "get to".
If you mean "using it" then the short cuts to the programs are on your start screen / all apps list. The down arrow on the bottom left of your start screen.
You would think Word would be under W. Or maybe O for Office Word.

Software Suites are generally in the All Apps Menu as a Group.
The Group in this case is generally called Microsoft Office and can usually be found by scrolling to the right in the all apps menu screen and there you should see Word.
There's a learning curve..... what can I say.
Use the right click context menu and the "pin to" option or the go to file location option and from there right click again and you can "pin to taskbar", "pin to start", or "Send To" / Desktop (create shortcut).
It all works just takes time. After a while it'll be second nature and then when you switch to Windows 10, you'll be wanting the Windows 8.1 Start Screen back.

Software Suites are generally in the All Apps Menu as a Group.
The Group in this case is generally called Microsoft Office and can usually be found by scrolling to the right in the all apps menu screen and there you should see Word.
There's a learning curve..... what can I say.
Use the right click context menu and the "pin to" option or the go to file location option and from there right click again and you can "pin to taskbar", "pin to start", or "Send To" / Desktop (create shortcut).
It all works just takes time. After a while it'll be second nature and then when you switch to Windows 10, you'll be wanting the Windows 8.1 Start Screen back.
Yes, like anything else. But Windows has been known for making things user friendly. I've been using linux at home and an old Windows at work. I only logged into Windows at home to use something like Photoshop. Windows took lessons from Mac and made it better. Now they need to take lessons from Linux and combine the two.

I'll leave you to opine over the whole Windows vs. Mac vs. Linux debate, as I really couldn't care less.
This is a Windows Forum and we try to provide courteous remarks and help, when possible regarding specific Windows issues.
I'll leave the Macs to people who have more money then me and the Linux Distros to people who are smarter than me.... or think they are.

I'll leave you to opine over the whole Windows vs. Mac vs. Linux debate, as I really couldn't care less.
This is a Windows Forum and we try to provide courteous remarks and help, when possible regarding specific Windows issues.
I'll leave the Macs to people who have more money then me and the Linux Distros to people who are smarter than me.... or think they are.
Ubuntu Linux isn't much different than something like Windows Vista. It is simple and straight forward. it is hard to make it crash and no known virus problems. You really don't have to be any smarter but there is a small learning curve. There are even ways to make Windows programs run on it.

Back
Top Bottom