Windows 7 How do I Manually add a Program to the "Default Programs" list in Windows 7 ?

J

Jordan

Ok, I'm using COWON jetAudio as my media player in Windows 7 (I've been using this all in one media player for years now, and I love it.) And I'm trying to associate all of the file types to jetAudio.

When I go into the jetAudio preferences, and check all file types, it doesn't work properly, I'm guessing it's due to the fact that Windows 7 is still Beta.

So I want to be able to select jetAudio in the "Default Programs" and set it as the main media player.

In other words

When you select Default Programs, the first option is Set Your Program
Defaults. In this, they give you a list of programs to select defaults for.
This list contains some, but not all potential programs which you might want
to select defaults for. Other than going to the next option Associate A File
Type With A Program, how do you add an "other" program to the Program list in
the first option?

Thanks and please view the attached screenshot for visual explanation.

http://i188.photobucket.com/albums/z224/JordanJP_bucket/DefaultPrograms.png

Regards

Jordan
cheesy.gif

You need to go back one screen and choose change file type association.

Then you can set the default program to use for each type of audio file.

Slightly more involved but it works.

Well that still doesn't resolve the issue of adding a program to the Default list. There's gotta be a way to do it, whether changing the registry or playing around in the WINDOWS folder......

:confused:

I suppose it is not out of the realm of possibilty that that feature has yet to be enabled.

I suggest submitting a feedback report. They are actually paying attention to them. I would suggest to them an easier more simplified way to add them. It would be an improvement on the interface adding a button to add a program.

:D

Have you tried the "Set program Access and Computer defaults"?
Select "Non Microsoft" and , at ther bottom of the window, "Custom"
Another way would be to right click any one of the media files you want to listen to and select "Open with'
Make sure you have the box bottom left ticked
If you media player is not showing, select browse and find the media player .exe file and select it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Open the folder that contains the file you want to change.

Right-click the file that you want to change, and then, depending on the type of file, either click Open With or point to Open With and then click Choose Default Program.
Click the program that you want to use to open this file.

Do one of the following:
  • If you want all files of that type to open in the same software program, select the Always use the selected program to open this kind of file check box, and then click OK.
  • If you want only that file to open in the software program this one time, clear the Always use the selected program to open this kind of file check box, and then click OK.

I'm having the same issue. While i can set the default program to open the file, i can not add the program to the "open with" menu when you right click the file. Even if I choose a file for a 1 time use, in the past that would make it show up in the "open with" menu.

I have Iso file. I like the new bunring program in windows seven. I also like to play the iso files in vlc media player. Now if I right click and choose vlc to play it, I'd have to do this every single time to play the iso.

I like having the burn iso as the default program and vlc for use once in a while.

Something is bugged and I don't know how no one caught this in the beta

cysco24,

It's not possible to assign two default actions to a single program.

That applies to all versions of Windows.

I'll try to work on this and see if I can figure out a way in the registry.

Create a restore point.

Copy and paste the following lines between the quotes into Notepad, choose Save As, in the drop-down box select All Files and save the first entry as iso.reg. You have to manually add the .reg to the file name.

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\.iso]
@="ISO file"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\.iso\Shell]

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\.iso\Shell\Play with VLC media player]
@="C:\\Program Files\\VideoLAN\\VLC\\vlc.exe %1"

NOTE: make sure the entry above contains no space between the Pla y

It should be Play
Name the one below isofile.reg

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\ISO File]
@="ISO Image"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\ISO File\Shell]

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\ISO File\Shell\ISO file]
@="ISO Image"
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\ISO File\Shell\ISO file\command]
@="\"C:\\Program Files\\VideoLAN\\VLC\\vlc.exe\" \"%1\""

Double-click on each file to merge it into the registry.

This will create a item on the context menu named Open with which will allow you to choose the default or VLC, so you don't have to keep clicking open with.

I hope I'm not bumping up a thread that's too old but my issue is similar to this one.

I just upgraded to Windows 7 and I'm trying to figure out how the "default programs" works.

Basically, can an external program override the program set in the [Set Default Programs] option?

For example, I installed a media application (KMPlayer) that does not show up in the [Set Default Programs] list. Now in the KMPlayer's preferences, there's a setting to associate file types with itself. But when I tried that, I noticed that the files still default to Windows Media Player.

So can I assume that no external application can change the program associated with a file type unless explicitly done via the:

+ [Set Default Programs] or

+ [Associate a file type ... with a program] or the

+ [Open with...] options?

Thanks for an info!

Can't add Program to list

We use a modeling software that is registered and we need all our users to access the registered version. When my users log on it is NOT registered but when I log in as the ADMIN it is. I have copied the admin profile to the default profile. I have been trying to add this software to the default programs list but all I can find is to add a registry (hack) edit. I am not experienced with registry editing. Can any one help?

[langtitle=pt]Re: How do I Manually add a Program to the "Default Programs" list in Windows 7 ?[/langtitle]

[lang=pt][QUOTE = JordĂŁo, 8833] Ok, estou usando o Cowon JetAudio como o meu media player no Windows 7 (eu tenho usado isso tudo em um player de mĂ­dia por anos agora, e eu adoro isso.) E eu estou tentando associar todos os tipos de arquivo para jetAudio.

Quando eu vou para o jetAudio preferĂŞncias, e confira todos os tipos de arquivo, ele nĂŁo funciona corretamente, eu estou supondo que Ă© devido ao fato de que o Windows 7 ainda Ă© Beta.

EntĂŁo eu quero ser capaz de selecionar jetAudio em "Programas PadrĂŁo" e defini-lo como o media player principal.

Em outras palavras br
< /> Quando você seleciona Programas Padrão, a primeira opção é definir o seu programa padrão />
Essa lista contém alguns, mas nem todos os programas possíveis que você pode querer
para selecionar padrões para. Outros que ir para a próxima opção Associar um
Tipo de Arquivo com um programa, como vocĂŞ adicionar um programa de "outros" na lista de programas em
a primeira opção?

Obrigado
e por favor, veja a imagem anexada para uma explicação visual.

Atenciosamente
< br />
[/ QUOTE]

boa noite, me registrei no forum so para lhe oferecer uma solução, se ainda não encontrou , é que eu tambem uso o insubstituivel JETAUDIO. Lá vai:

Vá em programas padrão,

Clique em definir acesso a programas do computador,

Marque Personalizada (se naõ estiver)

Depois em Escolha um media player padrao, desmarque ativar o acesso a este programa.

Vá no Jetaudio e desmarque todas as associações salve, marque todas novamente.

Pronto.

espero ter ajudado.

[/lang]

[langtitle=pt]Re: How do I Manually add a Program to the "Default Programs" list in Windows 7 ?[/langtitle]

[lang=pt]Boa noite, me registrei no forum So Para oferecer LHE UMA Solução, se encontrou Ainda nao, e tambem eu Que OSU o insubstituivel JETAUDIO. Lá vai:

Vá Padrão Programas em,

Clique Acesso definir a em um Programas do Computador,

Marque Personalizada (se estiver NAO)

in DEPOIS ESCOLHA UM padrao media player, desmarque ativar o Acesso um Programa Este.

Vá sem Jetaudio TODAS e desmarque como Associações salve, Novamente TODAS marque.

Pronto.

Espero ter ajudado.[/lang]

I am trying to make Windows Live Mail my default email handler. What are the file types I need to associate this with? I tried associating .emi and it did no good. Windows Live Mail does not show up in the list of default programs, and I don't know how to add it.

WLM may have a preference within itself, but I am talking about externally, when I'm in a browser, like Google Chrome or SeaMonkey. When I click on an email address in the browser, WLM is not the default.

No, it did not. I can't put that comment after the executable program name in properties and no shield shows up when I click on the Chrome email link.

Start Menu>Default Programs>Set Your Default Programs>Select WLM in left column>Select Defaults For This Program>Check the Select All box.

WLM is not in the list of programms in the DEFAULT PROGRAM window. If it were, I would not have posted this plea.

Back
Top Bottom