Windows 7 How do I resize a Windows 7 Boot Partition?

AKA1

My first post on the Forum!

I recently installed a 90GB Kingston Technology SSD and then created a shadow copy of my previous hard drive (which was 62.4GB), meaning that currently I only have access to this amount of space on the new hard drive.

Can anyone confirm (or direct me to) a step by step guide to resize this boot partition to allow me to use all the space currently unallocated?

Many thanks!

I assume the rest of the space on the SSD is 'unallocated'. Go to Disk Management, right click on the C partition and 'extend volume'.

My first post on the Forum!

I recently installed a 90GB Kingston Technology SSD and then created a shadow copy of my previous hard drive (which was 62.4GB), meaning that currently I only have access to this amount of space on the new hard drive.

Can anyone confirm (or direct me to) a step by step guide to resize this boot partition to allow me to use all the space currently unallocated?

Many thanks!
Thanks for the reply.

I tried doing this, but the only option available to me is 'Shrink Volume'. I can see a separate entry under Disk Management, displaying 9.32GB of Unallocated space if that provides any help?

What would help is a picture of your full disk management. Then we'll see.

wGzKNx9+0eezwAAAABJRU5ErkJggg==

Hope this helps!

OK, here is the problem. This little F partition is in the way. The easiest is to save the data from this partition and delete the partition. Then you get a contiguous unallocated space next to C.

Then you can extend C. If you care to recreate the 2GB F partition, leave 2GBs for it and recreate it. Note that it was formatted in Fat32. If you ask me, I would just forget about it.

Another problem is the Recovery partition. You really don't want that on such a small SSD. If you want to get rid of that too, post back. Getting rid of that is a bit trickier.

And if you do not use hibernation, open an elevated command prompt (run as admin) and run this command: powercfg -h off That will save you as many GBs as you have RAM. And if you have a lot of RAM (more than 3GB), I would also resize the pagefile to 2GBs. I have done that on all my SSDs - no problem.

OK, if you have any further questions, let me know. There must be too much stuff on your SSD. Apart from the recovery partition which should go, you have a lot of data in your C partition - unless you have big games installed , that is too much.

On my SSDs that are on desktops, I have around 25GB for C - and I have a lot of programs (no games though). My user data I moved to the HDDs. On the laptops that is another story because I also have the user data on the SSD.

An update; I've now managed to extend my C: Drive space, so thanks for your help once again.

Can you give me some tips on the Recovery partition process you mentioned above?

The recovery partition you can just delete and make images instead. The tricky part is to extend the C partition to the left. For that you need the bootable CD of Partition Wizard (last entry on the webpage). But make sure you image your C partition first before you manipulate it. I would hate for you to lose it because of a small error you make (and it has happened to me - but I had images).

If windows build-in disk management could not extend boot partition, you should try third party partition tool, there are sevral tools and some of them are free, you may searched as "Partition magic for windows7"

I actually have the same problem, can I use a free partition software like Partition Wizard which claims it can resize the Windows 7 to resize the Windows 7? Thanks in advance!

Yes you can, another very good free partition management tool is the home edition of easeus partition manager:

Free Partition Magic alternative & free Partition Manager Software for Windows PC, Workstation and Server - EaseUS.

You should always take precautions to backup all important data on a drive before making partition changes. This may include:

1. Burning copies of system recovery images from any recovery partition on the drive. You should burn two copies of any such recovery disks.

2. Making an image on an external drive of your system drive (using something like Acronis True Image for which a full working trial download is available).

3. Backing up to external storage any user data stored in other partitions on the drive.

Back