Windows 10 How do you reinstall program files from windows.old?

Cretos

I can only find info on how to recover data from windows.old. This does not help. I need to restore old programs from an old windows 10 install to a new windows 10 install. I realize I could download them again but would rather know how to do it with windows.old. I think it might be usefull just to know how. Any thoughts anyone?

You won't be able to. Plus programs should not be contained in the Windows directory.

Why does windows save the files to windows.old then. I read online that you can reinstall them. It does not make sense. Since they are saved their must be a way to reinstall them.

It is the old version of your windows install. Even if there is program data in windows.old the only thing it's good for is rolling back the old system to the old OS version. There is no built-in or 3rd party tool available to pull content from the windows.old directory to re-install an application.

I guess I don't see the point. I would rather windows not save these files then.

Well it's for roll back in the event the upgrade fails or if a user needs to rollback for say compatibility reasons. You can delete it through disk cleanup or just wait 30 days and it will be removed.

Back
Top Bottom