Windows 8 How Do you set a restore point and make sure security is enabled

terryleemartin

I read one online article that said to "click the Windows 8 start button", and I gave up on that article. I can't figure out how to set a restore point with Windows 8. "Help and support" gives absolutely no help and no support for that question, and in many case little to no help with others.

I was also told that I needed to "enable security". I would have thought that would have been enabled automatically, but I guess not.

Terry,

> Win+W, type Restore. Will produce, "Create Restore Point" icon'

Also, in Win+W

You can > "Windows Defender" & check or check "Action Center" but, I think you will find the OS Security is ON, by default.

Cheers,
Drew
new_windows_logo1.jpg

Hi Drew,
I'm afraid this will brand me as a computer dummy, but I need to ask. I'm not exactly a computer Dummy but I am rather new to Windows 8. Where do I enter Win+W? I assumed that it was from the start menu and then going to the search charm and typing it in there. That didn't work out too well.
You are correct my Windows Defender is on by default. Thank you

Terry,

This is not something that is "entered" anywhere or typed (in) anywhere.
Win+ means the Windows key, which is between (left) Ctrl & Alt keys on the keyboard. Ergo it is Win+ another key or letter.

These are called Keyboard Commands or Shortcuts. There are a slew of them.

So you hit Win+W together. Win+Whatever are keys used on the keyboard, not something to enter or type (in) anywhere.

Take a look here, http://windows8forums.com/windows-8-tutorials-training/5293-nav-tips-keyboard-shortcuts-win8.html

Cheers,
Drew
new_windows_logo1.jpg

Drew, I appreciate the clear instructions. I am amassing quite a number of keyboard commands for Windows 8, and I am happy to add this one to my list. Bouncing between my Surface RT device, and my desktop is quite fun for me, but I will occasionally be stumped for an answer, and I'm glad that you were there. My son is a computer engineer for Microsoft in Redmond, WA and I do find myself scratching my head after talking to him. Thank you.

Back
Top Bottom