Windows 7 How does a Recovery CD Work

serverguy

I bought a computer couple years ago, and completely wiped it, i installed linux to try it and test it

i bought the computer off amazon, as far as i remember, it came with windows 7 professional, it has one of the Microsoft stickers on it with the product key still on it,

it also came with a Recovery Media, I kept the cd, and wiped the whole hard drive

how exactly does this recovery cd work? I just put it in the computer and i can install and get my windows 7 back again?

it doesn't seem to be working, it is because i wiped the whole hard drive? i thought the recovery cd has all the files needed

how exactly do recovery cds work, ive never used it before in my life

this is what i see inside the cd

Capture.PNG

Basically just put the CD in and reboot. If it doesn't boot from the CD you may need to press a key like f2, f3, escape, or delete to force it. Possibly even go into bios settings and tell it to boot from CD.

ok thanks! i forgot to change the cd to boot in the bios.

it seems to be working now! i just installed it and settings up the updates now.,

the key was not activated, and it said the key was not good and unable to activate it ,

i had to call microsoft and do some automated thing on the phone, but now it's activated!
because its the first time i tried to activate it? anyways,

is it too late for the free upgrade to win10?

i just realized i have about 10 licenses ranging from win xp, windows visa, windows8, and windows 7

i never throw out any of the computer i buy, and i looked at them all, and they all have the license sticker still

i should've taken up that offer of free upgrade to win10 a of couple years ago, 2 of every license
i wonder if i can transfer them on virtualbox, i don't want them to go to waste
i don't even use my computers anymore, ever since cellphone have taken over
i only use 1 computer and it has linux, actually, transfering my licenese to virtualbox might be a good idea, i do need windows sometimes, and im sick of always reformatting my extra computer when i need windows

i have 2 windows 7 home licenses & 1 windows 7professional license

im still on windows 7, is that bad?

Last edited:
If you're talking Windows Recovery, then it's basically a bare minimum base Window system with tools specifically designed to help repair a problematic operating system. A OEM recovery disc from computer manufacturers will contain a factory system image that will allow you to roll the system back as if it were new from the vendor.

ok thanks! i forgot to change the cd to boot in the bios.

it seems to be working now! i just installed it and settings up the updates now.,

the key was not activated, and it said the key was not good and unable to activate it ,

i had to call microsoft and do some automated thing on the phone, but now it's activated!
because its the first time i tried to activate it? anyways,

is it too late for the free upgrade to win10?

i just realized i have about 10 licenses ranging from win xp, windows visa, windows8, and windows 7

i never throw out any of the computer i buy, and i looked at them all, and they all have the license sticker still

i should've taken up that offer of free upgrade to win10 a of couple years ago, 2 of every license
i wonder if i can transfer them on virtualbox, i don't want them to go to waste
i don't even use my computers anymore, ever since cellphone have taken over
i only use 1 computer and it has linux, actually, transfering my licenese to virtualbox might be a good idea, i do need windows sometimes, and im sick of always reformatting my extra computer when i need windows

i have 2 windows 7 home licenses & 1 windows 7professional license
im still on windows 7, is that bad?

Technically it's too late to get Windows 10 for free. But there's an exception right now. If you use assistive technology (or are willing to claim you do), then they will still give it to you for free if you chat online and ask them.

As for old computers with the license key. If Windows came pre-bundled with that computer, then it's a OEM "Original Equipment Manufacturer" version and is not allowed to be transferred to another computer (not even another virtual computer like VMWare or VirtualBox). They may or may not have actually taken any technological measures to block you from doing it, so you're sort of on scout's honor there :)

Windows you buy yourself (from a store, not bundled with a computer) can be transferred to any computer you want, since you own it and it isn't licensed to a specific computer from a specific manufacturer.

Back