Windows 7 How speed up W7 by shutting off Services?

Nisko

My wife has a netbook with Windows 7 Starter. It is extremely slow - even though the only program she ever uses is Internet Explorer - period!!! What Services can I change the status of without affecting her use of the netbook? I have already used MSCONFIG and shut everything off there except IE. No Startup programs running that I know of. I clean IE's cache often. Please help!!!!!!!!

Playing with the services is not going to help. All you end up with is a bricked system. Apart from the usual cleanup tasks there is little you can do. Netbooks have slow Atom processors and slow disks. If you can replace the disk with a SSD, you would get a big performance boost for the system, but not on the internet because that depends on your line speed.

It's worth downloading a copy of autoruns (free). It will enable you to identify all the things which are run at startup time which will be consuming some resources. If unsure about any item you may initially use autoruns to flag any items which you don't want to run. If it causes a problem then you may unflag it. Any items you are sure you want to remove from startup may permanently be removed. Autoruns is just run as is, it does not require installation but to allow changes to be made it needs to be run as administrator.

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/bb963902.aspx

My wife has a netbook with Windows 7 Starter. It is extremely slow - even though the only program she ever uses is Internet Explorer - period!!! What Services can I change the status of without affecting her use of the netbook? I have already used MSCONFIG and shut everything off there except IE. No Startup programs running that I know of. I clean IE's cache often. Please help!!!!!!!!
Thanks for the web site. I'll take a look at the detail today.

Thanks, but I'm not at all familiar with Linux. Perhaps you could help me? Thank you.................

If you want a really nice Linux distro, use Mint Mate. Here is a video demo that I made to give you an idea. That one is running from a USB stick, but it looks the same when installed.

I have a tutorial to install it on a stick - if you want to try that first. The installation on the internal disk is no different than any OS installation. You start with an .iso on a DVD or a stick..

Back