How to connect from home to a specific virtual PC on Hyper-V

Piero2000

Hello

Windows Server 2019

2 virtual Windows 10 22H2

2 of my colleagues, in the local network, for certain jobs connect to these 2 virtual PCs (each on its own)

Charles 10.100.1.53

France 10.100.1.54

Now they would like to do the same thing from their home

The server has a second network card with public IP and internet connection 67.14.25.88

What's the easiest, simplest, and least expensive way?

Please give me a step by step configuration

Thank you very much

Piero

Hello Piero,

To allow your colleagues to connect remotely to the virtual Windows 10 PCs, you will need to set up remote access to the Hyper-V host and configure port forwarding on your router to allow external access.

Here are the steps:

Step 1: Enable Remote Desktop on the virtual machines

To enable remote access to the virtual Windows 10 PCs, you need to enable the Remote Desktop feature on each of the virtual machines.

1. Sign in to each Windows 10 virtual machine.
2. Right-click the Start menu and select System.
3. Click on Remote settings.
4. Select "Allow remote connections to this computer."
5. Click on "Select Users" and add the user accounts you want to allow access to.
6. Click OK to save the settings.

Step 2: Enable Remote Desktop on the Hyper-V host

In addition to enabling Remote Desktop on the virtual machines, you will also need to enable Remote Desktop on the Hyper-V host.

1. Sign in to the Hyper-V host server.
2. Right-click the Start menu and select System.
3. Click on Remote settings.
4. Select "Allow remote connections to this computer."
5. Click on "Select Users" and add the user accounts you want to allow access to.
6. Click OK to save the settings.

Step 3: Configure port forwarding on the router

To allow remote access to the Hyper-V host and virtual machines, you need to configure port forwarding on your router to forward traffic from the public IP address and port to the internal IP address of the Hyper-V host.

1. Log in to your router's configuration page.
2. Look for the port forwarding or virtual server settings.
3. Create a new rule to forward traffic from port 3389 (Remote Desktop) to the internal IP address of the Hyper-V host (10.100.1.X, where X is the last octet of the Hyper-V host's internal IP address).
4. Save the rule and restart the router if necessary.

Step 4: Connect to the virtual machines remotely

Your colleagues can now connect remotely to the virtual Windows 10 PCs using the public IP address of the router.

1. Start the Remote Desktop client on the remote machine.
2. Enter the public IP address of the router as the remote computer to connect to.
3. Enter the username and password for the user account that was added to the Remote Desktop Users group on the virtual machine.
4. Click Connect.

If everything is set up correctly, your colleagues should now be able to connect remotely to the virtual Windows 10 PCs on the Hyper-V host.

I hope this helps! Let me know if you have any questions or need further assistance.

from home they will need a static ip address [not an option in Australia] or a network tunnel to your servers [outside] address

the simple way to do this is with a private router everyone can reach by wifi or cable

HI

I don't know how to thank you for your prompt reply
But I don't understand how Charles can connect to his PC (10.100.1.53)
and France to him (10.100.1.54).
I don't need points one through three
because I already connect to the server (10.100.1.10) from my house.

Thank you very much for your interest in my problem.
I wish you a good life.

Back