Windows 7 How to connect my external harddrive to be used with System Repair disk(Restore Img)

chobo2

I made a few months back a backup of my machine(windows 7 64bit edition). The size was like 25gb's so I saved it on my external hard-drive(I bought a case and put a hard drive(Seagate I think) in it).
I know want to use this to restore my computer. So I made a system repair disk and loaded it up.
However it cannot find my external hard-drive. I have "WindowsImageBackup " in my root directory of my external drive.
Yet it still does not see it. I would install some drivers but I have no clue what drives I need as when I plug it into my computer and I am in windows 7 it finds my drive.
What do I need to make window 7 recognize my image?

a few things i would like to ask, are u wanting to boot from the HDD with the image on ?
are u able to see the HDD in windows?
what format is the image? .iso etc etc

a few things i would like to ask, are u wanting to boot from the HDD with the image on ?
are u able to see the HDD in windows?
what format is the image? .iso etc etc

I made this disk

System Repair Disc - Create - Windows 7 Forums

I have on my external drive that contains my backup img(I have no clue what format it is Backup and Restore - Windows 7 features - Microsoft Windows it's a folder that has stuff in it)

I want to take this backup and do a full restore on my computer. However I cannot get access to the image. I can load up windows 7 normally and I will see my external hard drive with the backup. However in this repair disk I do not.

i mean i thought if you used the backup feature within windows then you would use the same restore option ?, in start's search bar type " restore " without speach marks, and use that function??

i mean i thought if you used the backup feature within windows then you would use the same restore option ?, in start's search bar type " restore " without speach marks, and use that function??

I will look but doubtful. I am trying to do a full restore(ie it overrides the entire hard-drive and puts the old image on top of it thus deleting windows 7).

wel try it however for the main outcome that you are tryingh to achieve does seem a little long winded , meaning that i would think it would be quicker to format, reinstall , and add your programs back on, then u have no junk, no temp files etc. maximum capacity,

however if this is what you want to do we will try our best to help you :)

wel try it however for the main outcome that you are tryingh to achieve does seem a little long winded , meaning that i would think it would be quicker to format, reinstall , and add your programs back on, then u have no junk, no temp files etc. maximum capacity,

however if this is what you want to do we will try our best to help you :)

Normally I would and then backup it up with a real backing up program(not impressed by windows backup tool) but my laptop was given to me by work and it's more about not having the software on hand(and then I have to hook up to all the vpns, exchange and all that fun stuff).

That's why I made a backup in the first place to avoid this. I can get it to restore files and stuff but as far as a full reinstall backup it does not seem to show up at all and I have no clue how to get it to show up.

When you restore an image, Windows will show a drive that might be available to restore from. Does it show the external drive?

If you have a WindowsImageBackup folder, then you have an image backup, unless it got corrupted.

If you are using a Recovery CD, after you log in, it will look for Windows 7 installs. If it finds none, it will allow you to re-image. If it does find one, you may have to select the re-image option. It will then search for backups. If it sees the external drive, then it should find the backup image.

I use the image function all the time and it works great.

Maybe going over the steps will help. I see you and kaos have discussed this but perhaps what happens after you sign-in might help me understand what is going wrong.

When you restore an image, Windows will show a drive that might be available to restore from. Does it show the external drive?

If you have a WindowsImageBackup folder, then you have an image backup, unless it got corrupted.

If you are using a Recovery CD, after you log in, it will look for Windows 7 installs. If it finds none, it will allow you to re-image. If it does find one, you may have to select the re-image option. It will then search for backups. If it sees the external drive, then it should find the backup image.

I use the image function all the time and it works great.

Maybe going over the steps will help. I see you and kaos have discussed this but perhaps what happens after you sign-in might help me understand what is going wrong.

I don't think the image is corrupt as I can mount it through Disk Management.

Is the recovery CD the same thing System Repair Disk?

When I load the system repair disk it looks like

http://www.sevenforums.com/attachme...epair-disc-create-system_recovery_options.jpg

The steps where as followed

1. I made a backup of my entire drive(about 25gb)
2. I made a repair disk by using "recdisc.exe "
3. I restarted my computer with this repair disk in my drive
4. Asked if I wanted to boot from the cd or dvd

I see all these screens How To Restore Windows 7 from a System Image - How-To Geek

When I get down this step though

I see this http://www.howtogeek.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/12/7restore.png

But the first option is grayed out as it can't find my backup. The second option triggers a search that finds nothing. I then have a choice to connect to a network or install a driver.

Attachments

• 2807d1231990641t-system-repair-disc-create-system_recovery_options.jpg
    2807d1231990641t-system-repair-disc-create-system_recovery_options.jpg
    12.3 KB · Views: 404
No, they are not the same thing. Your disc is probably system specific. You should have been given the option to make the Repair CD when you made the backup image. You can make one by going to the Start Menu-All Programs-Maintenance.

I am not sure if you even get to the window below, but it does show the different options. I still seem to remember you first go to a basic window where the system is checked for Windows installs, there you have the option to repair a current install or on the bottom, restore an image. I do not have a picture.

Attachments

• Recovery Options.JPG
    Recovery Options.JPG
    49.1 KB · Views: 390
Last edited:
No, they are not the same thing. Your disc is probably system specific. You should have been given the option to make the Repair CD when you made the backup image. You can make one by going to the Start Menu-All Programs-Maintenance.

I am not sure if you even get to the window below, but it does show the different options. I still seem to remember you first go to a basic window where the system is checked for Windows installs, there you have the option to repair a current install or on the bottom, restore an image. I do not have a picture.

I just see "Create a system repair disc" no other type of disk. The picture might be outdated(not sure) but the point is I am trying to use this repair disc but it never works for me as it never finds my image.

Do you think I need a driver or something for my hard drive like a sata driver(even though it connects through usb)?

Last edited:
You are using the wrong repair CD, it does not have an option to restore an image, but probably a special image on your hard drive, not the one you made. You need a Repair CD as is seen in the attachment.

If you cannot make such a CD with your system, can you use the F8 key during boot and Repair Your Computer to get the same thing? If you have or can borrow an Install DVD, you can also use it. But you have to get to an option that will Restore an image.......

Attachments

• Repair CD.GIF
    Repair CD.GIF
    48.5 KB · Views: 490
You are using the wrong repair CD, it does not have an option to restore an image, but probably a special image on your hard drive, not the one you made. You need a Repair CD as is seen in the attachment.

If you cannot make such a CD with your system, can you use the F8 key during boot and Repair Your Computer to get the same thing? If you have or can borrow an Install DVD, you can also use it. But you have to get to an option that will Restore an image.......

I have "restore an Image" option. I made it by

Start -> Maintenance ->Backup and Restore -> "Create A system repair disk"

Looks exactly as your image has. I also tried to use the windows 7 disk and went to repair to get to the "restore"

So I do not think that is the problem.

OK, if you are getting the pictures you posted from the How-to-Geek and you are not showing a available backup image on your external drive, or you cannot use the search for an image, then I have no other suggestions. Except possibly before you search for an image, you reset your external drive, or don't even turn it on until just before you search.

OK, if you are getting the pictures you posted from the How-to-Geek and you are not showing a available backup image on your external drive, or you cannot use the search for an image, then I have no other suggestions. Except possibly before you search for an image, you reset your external drive, or don't even turn it on until just before you search.

Ok

I made a new backup going through the whole process and I am even more convinced that it something with my external drive as it could not find this recovery image as well.

I wish I knew what to tell you, but if you can make a backup image on the external drive, you should be able to see it during a re-image. But strange things can happen.

Do you have a second internal hard drive you could use for the image?

Edit: Do you ever say what type of external drive you have? As far as I know, there is not an option to load any special drivers during the process. It is pretty much controlled by the bios and whatever is loaded by the Windows Recovery Environment.

Last edited:
Back