Windows 10 How to create manually a System Retore Point from cmdline/with 1 click?

pstein

Extraordinary Member
Ok, I can create manually a SRP by navigate with lots of clicks to the Win10 built-in dialog.

But I prefer a much simpler way to do this with as few clicks as possible.

Is there a built-in cmdline command which let me do that? Something like

createsrp.exe -label "my sysrestpoint 123"

On Windows 7 there were a lot of 3rd party SRP tools which ease this function very much.

Since these Win7 tools do not work any more on Win10 may I ask for some similar tools for Win10?

Thank you
Peter

Since it does require elevation one way you could do it is create a .bat file with the following code
powershell -command "& {Checkpoint-Computer -Description 'Script Created Restore Point' -RestorePointType MODIFY_SETTINGS}"

To run it you would simply right click the .bat file and select "Run As Administrator". It is worth noting you can't create restore points less than 24 hours apart.

Other way would be create a .ps1 file and have the following code

Start-Process -FilePath "C:\Windows\System32\WindowsPowerShell\v1.0\powershell.exe" -Verb RunAs -ArgumentList "-command `"& {Checkpoint-Computer -Description 'Script Created Restore Point' -RestorePointType MODIFY_SETTINGS}`""

To run it you would right click the PowerShell file and select Run with PowerShell.

A couple of caveats would be the PowerShell execution policy is enabled by default so you'd have to accept the prompt every time by pressing 'Y' or you'd need to change the execution policy once with Set-ExecutionPolicy -ExecutionPolicy Unrestricted -Scope LocalMachine

Back