Windows 7 How to delete obsolete printer listings from the Printer Selection Window

Thomas Hunscher

Over time, having moved once and having add and removed computers from my home network, along with other changes, I now have a cluttered Printer Selection Window, by which I mean the window that pops up when I want to print a document. I have five versions of a Brother printer and four versions of an HP printer, and only one of each is actually good. How do I clean up that window by getting rid of those obsolete references that no longer work? It's ridiculous that they don't simply disappear when I select one of them as the default.

You know, I'm a pretty sophisticated user. I am here because they keep coming back. They don't stay gone. After deleting them from Printers and Hardware in Control Panel I'm still looking at dead copies when I go to print out a document.

Thomas;
Hello and welcome to the forum.
Try device manager change the view to show hidden devices see if you can uninstall unwanted printers from there.
Failing that
Regedit
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Print\Printers
When editing the registry back it up, export key to desktop for safe keeping, create a system restore point manually.
Hope this helps
Regards
Randy

Since Printers do not show up in device Manager, this post is N/A.

Last edited:
You know, I'm a pretty sophisticated user. I am here because they keep coming back. They don't stay gone. After deleting them from Printers and Hardware in Control Panel I'm still looking at dead copies when I go to print out a document.

I'm sorry. You are a new user and I checked your "about" and "experience" page but there was no information there so I had no idea what your computer skills are. I'm sorry about that.

Do what Randy suggested and get back if you need further assistance.

Back