Windows 10 how to delete unused W10 from a partition

redbourn

Hi and thanks for any help.
devices.jpg
partitions.jpg

About 18 months ago a technician in Portugal installed 2 SSD drives for me and a version of Windows 10 - but in Portuguese.

I then installed a version of W10 in English and all has been working fine; after a few bumps on the road.

Anyway, I'm using the C drive but want to get rid of windows on the G drive.

Please tell me how to do it.

Michael

PS I installed W11 last night and it was easy and everything so far has been working well! And my mouse is no longer laqging!

You can reformat a drive and it should remove data on it, I believe it also removes the OS on that drive too. So you end up with a fresh drive. I think you can just do it by right clicking on it via the top menu.

are you trying to keep data on the drive, but remove the os only?

you can probably find the partition you want on powershell:

get-disk

get-partition -disknumber ? (Which one)

Remove-partition -disknumber . - partitionnumber .

commands can sometimes take a few seconds to run.

after That it’ll ask you to confirm deletion.

Last edited:
You can reformat a drive and it should remove data on it, I believe it also removes the OS on that drive too. So you end up with a fresh drive. I think you can just do it by right clicking on it via the top menu.

are you trying to keep data on the drive, but remove the os only?

you can probably find the partition you want on powershell:

get-disk

get-partition -disknumber ? (Which one)

Remove-partition -disknumber . - partitionnumber .

commands can sometimes take a few seconds to run.

after That it’ll ask you to confirm deletion.
Thank you.

you might not have ownership of the folder.
properties > security tab and give yourself write access/full control. I wouldn’t necessarily do it on your main ssd though.
I am wondering why I can't just delete the Windows folder on the G drive?

Firstly I want to say a big thank you for the helpful advice.

Here's what I think makes best sense to me right now.

I uploaded W11 two nights ago, and btw I really like it up until now. Start up is faster and some programs such as Photoshop load faster and so far every program works.

So my plan is to wait until MS removes my W10 in eight days so I won't be dealing with 3 versions of Windows.

Then I'll back up on Acronis.

There are many things on the G drive that I want to keep, photos and stuff, and I will move them to another drive - I have tons of space.

Then maybe set the drive to inactive and reboot?

Or simply format the drive?

Firstly I want to say a big thank you for the helpful advice.

Here's what I think makes best sense to me right now.

I uploaded W11 two nights ago, and btw I really like it up until now. Start up is faster and some programs such as Photoshop load faster and so far every program works.

So my plan is to wait until MS removes my W10 in eight days so I won't be dealing with 3 versions of Windows.

Then I'll back up on Acronis.

There are many things on the G drive that I want to keep, photos and stuff, and I will move them to another drive - I have tons of space.

Then maybe set the drive to inactive and reboot?

Or simply format the drive?
Format would wipe the drive, if it was backed up formatting would essentially just set it to a blank state. Another option is just to store the drive safe somewhere, if you don’t need it. That way you have all these photos etc stored in case you download a virus onto the comp or something happens to your data on there, but that’s not likely to happen so long as you’re not being silly. Your plan sounds good.

Format would wipe the drive, if it was backed up formatting would essentially just set it to a blank state. Another option is just to store the drive safe somewhere, if you don’t need it. That way you have all these photos etc stored in case you download a virus onto the comp or something happens to your data on there, but that’s not likely to happen so long as you’re not being silly. Your plan sounds good.
thanks!

Back