Windows 10 How to do things on tablet with touchscreen/touchpen

bill8397

Hi, first time here. I'm not computer-savvy at all (couldn't even find where to type hello in the intro thread I saw after I had done this....to give you an idea of 'savvy'). Just got tablet, RCA Cambio W101 V2 2-in1 (detachable keyboard). First time using touchscreen/pad/pen. Spent days trying to figure basic things out ("user manuals" no help, just show where stuff is). I'm in total confusion. Also have a laptop with W8.1 (works horribly).

How to put website shortcuts (like Google) on the taskbar (got one on the desktop...but don't know how).
How to have the window fill the screen, all that come up, not have to maximize them separately each time. I found the "right-click", went to top edge of window, to "size", got the cross with 4 arrows, does nothing with touchscreen/pad/pen, I can size it using keyboard arrows. But no good, as it wont stay that size for subsequent ones. Has to be a way to have all windows come up full screen....doesn't there?
Can't move a window by putting cursor at top edge of window, the cursor just moves along but does not take the window with it.
How to drag/drop (is it possible on a touchscreen??)

So much more. Feel an incredible difference between Laptop/W8.1/Regular Mouse, and this Tablet/W10/Touchscreen-Pad-Pen, making me feel like the poster boy for the "____ for Dummies" book series.

Last edited:
You should only need to right click the shortcuts and select pin to taskbar. In tablet land "right click" is touch and hold, you should get a visual que that you can release and that should pop up the right click context menu

"Pin to Taskbar" is not listed as an option in the right click context menu.
Shows Open/Print/Restore previous version/Send to/Cut/Copy/Create shortcut/Delete/Rename/Properties

Last edited:
Web shortcuts don't pin, some browsers allow them to be pinned such as Chrome. In that case you click or press and drag the web shortcut to chrome (needs to be pinned), to access the shortcut you right click on chrome to get to the pinned web link

I use IE, so you're saying website shortcuts (google), cannot be pinned on to taskbar? Can IE put them on the start menu? (I just put that w7 style "classic shell" on, thank you HTG for the article)

Getting confused, not sure what/how you mean by "can do the same". I DO use IE, and I DO have IE pinned to taskbar (though I don't know how I did that....)
And I cannot find anywhere it lets me pin website shortcut (ie. google) either to taskbar nor start menu.
(and still have the other issues.....can't move or permanently size windows to fill screen, cant drag/drop)

Pin Internet Explorer to the taskbar, click and drag the shortcut over IE and it will say "Pin to IE"

More confusion.....I said I DO already have IE pinned to taskbar, and you say "Pin Internet Explorer to the taskbar....".....then click and drag "the shortcut" over IE?? Pin to IE??. Dont want to pin anything to IE. Said in first post I cannot figure out how to drag anything anyhow (tried all different things). And I've yet to see "Pin to taskbar", Pin to start menu, or Pin to IE anywhere.

I must not be saying things right. So....one issue Only.....here goes.....I simply want to put a shortcut icon on the taskbar.....a shortcut icon for Google, for example....just like when people have shortcut icons on the desktop for google, and other websites.....I just want it on the taskbar instead of on the desktop, so I can see it all the time (after I figure out how to have window fill the whole screen). Is this possible with W10 on a tablet with touchscreen? (my RCA Cambio)

You can't put web shortcuts on the taskbar, you can only pin them to a browser that is pinned to the taskbar.

I have chrome pinned to taskbar, I clicked (or press and hold [tablet]) then drag the shortcut to the browser. This is from right clicking (press and hold on a tablet) on the pinned browser.
pinned_chrome.png

So I can (somehow) put/pin/drop/drag a google desktop shortcut icon onto the IE icon (which IS on my taskbar)......so when I want to use google search to look something up.....I can go to the IE icon on the taskbar, right click it, and I will then find Google among the many listed items, which I can then left click on which will then bring up the google window/search box?

If that is all correct, that leaves me with how to first get the desktop shortcut (now I cant do it, how come all I can find is "how to do desktp APP shortcuts"), and figure out how to drag and drop, which will only work when I move desktop shortcuts around on the desktop to another spot on the desktop.

Think Im getting ready to go look for the hammer.

Some tablets especially the discounted ones, have some missing features on them and don't run a full Android OS as on other tablets such as Acer, HP, Samsung, and Trio. It might be worthwhile getting an inexpensive paperbook book on how to do basics with your Tablet such as here:
Laptops and Tablets for Seniors For Dummies

A couple of other options are to take a short course in Tablet usage at your local Adult School or Community College. I have taught those classes, and for folks new to tablets coming from either old XP towers or laptops, they really help a lot.:up:

Other places to check for Tablet classes (inexpensive) are your local public library and remember to check in with your local Computer Club. In my Computer Club we teach 4-5 Workshops a year on computer technology, include one we just did in November on Mobile Devices including Smartphones and Tablets. Cost was only $15. Almost the price of a book. For many folks, especially seniors who I specialize in teaching technology to, prefer instructor-led classroom training, and don't do well either with a self-study book (the Dummies book), or an online course (they don't work well either as I've taught those also. It's almost impossible to answer all the questions you have if you've been using your tablet for a week, a month, or 2 years in this kind of venue. I know because I've been doing it for 4 years now.

You might be less frustrated if you get some professional expert instruction in a guided in-person classroom situation (that is if the book doesn't help!). I've been teaching Adults computers for 20 years+ and I think you should consider what I've said here.

Best of luck,:lightbulb:
<<<BIGBEARJEDI>>>

You must have missed where I noted it came with Windows 10 OS, not Android. Thanks for all the ideas, maybe I'll give one of the "Dummies" books a shot.
Don't get it why the down-loaded so called User Manual from RCA for the product doesn't give all the "how-to" stuff, instead of just mostly showing the location of the various features. I got some 'brief' how-to info from RCA support about using the W10 system with it (just bought the tablet, it's under warranty, even though not being able to figure out how to do things is not a "defect").

Hi Bill,
Yup! My bad-I'm recovering from Oral Surgery and on pain killers, so in fact I did miss that <chagrined>.:redface: Sorry about that.

Take a look at this book and see if it might help you out: My Windows 10 Tablet (includes Content Update Program) - Books on Google Play

And don't forget about my suggestions for looking into taking Instructor-led classroom training at your local library, Computer Club, Adult School, or Community College. This is a great way to delve further into the specific capabilities of your tablet PC for little or no money. And, my old tag line on my E-mail signature used to be: "TAKE A CLASS, FEED A TEACHER".:teeth: And don't forget too, that your local independent computer consultants also offer Private 1-on-1 in-home instruction, if it's inconvenient or difficult to get to one of the classroom classes. I've also been doing that, and have for many years. Sometimes folks will have a specific project in mind, or get a new device and they're just so frustrated with trying to learn it--many are too embarrassed to go to a class, this may provide you a confidential and safe learning environment where people around you in a class who may judge you as a "slow-learner" or whatever does not apply when using Private instruction. Just another idea to get you the help you need. Bear in mind, In-Home Private instruction of course if quite a bit more expensive than the group training I mentioned, as is often done by the hour. I charge from $35-$50 per hour for this, so it's not cheap, but does provide you with all the advantages I spoke of.

And if none of those work for you, we can still try to help you here as best we can.:)

Take care,
<<<BBJ>>> :lightbulb: :brew:

Hi

The easiest way to do it is to use Google Chrome or Mozilla Firefox, for you browser and then just drag your shortcuts to the shortcuts bar at the top of the of the Window under the address bar. You can do this in Edge too, but as usual for MS it's harder to do.

If you are going to go to a web address the browser has to open anyway, so just do that first and then hit the link.

Browser%20Window_zpshf7n1ra1.jpg

Another option is to use a program called Rocket Dock, (I've used it for years) it creates a second task bar and you can drag saved web pages to it, and open them with one click.

That's it just above the task bar on my desktop...

Desktop_zps2g7udozf.jpg

Mike

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom