Windows 7 How to download a file with a DOC ending

Wilhelm

Received an email from the Doctors Office. How can I view the files they send, it had a .doc file ending? Thanks

I have windows 7

This will allow you to open and view the files
Link Removed due to 404 Error
However you will likely need a good word processor to reply or edit or collaborate on the documents.
If you don't have Microsoft Word installed on your computer you may either consider obtaining a copy or perhaps checking into some other less expensive (free alternatives).
Open Office comes to mind.

.doc is a Microsoft Office Word document extension. As Trouble states the word viewer should be able to help view the file. A trial version of MS Word is available for download. If you like it you can purchase just MS Word. It is also included in all versions of the MS Office Suite.

I don't receive .doc files very often maybe 2 times in 10 years. I downloaded Open Office and when I go to open one of the .doc files, it sends me to adobe reader and says it can't open it.

Sounds like perhaps you neglected to check the proper boxes for file associations during the Open Office install.
You also seem to have the .doc file extension associated now with acrobat reader.
You'll need to change this.
Click the start orb and type
default programs
into the search box and hit enter
Select the link that says
Associate a file type or protocol with a program
after it loads find the .doc file extension
select it and choose
Change program button, top right
if open office writer is not available as a choice click the browse button and navigate to the open office installation and find the executeable for the writer program and select it, make sure the box "Always use" is selected and click OK.
Should work now.

I want to say thank you Trouble and Ted Myers for your kind help. Trouble, your instructions to get out of the Adobe Reader was spot on. It saved the wife a visit to the doctors office to get the forms. Thanks again. My wife thinks I am genius, don't I wish. :)

Glad to hear you were able to resolve your issue and thanks for posting back and updating your thread.
Your secret is safe, what happens at Windows7Forums, stays at Windows7Forums.
Regards
Randy

Back