Windows 7 How to enable mouse over preview in win 7?

ahguih

My win 7 is home premium. When my pc was bought, the feature was there.
Later, somehow I find it is no longer there.
Could anyone help on how to enable mouse over preview in win 7?

Thanks in advance!

You have not recently changed to the basic theme? This will also stop it.
Check that your Aero is enabled (Right click the Start orb - properties - taskbar tab, and you will see the option.
If this is all in order, then look in the task manager - Processes, and see if you have a program running DWM.exe. This is the Desktop Manager. If it is not, go up to the "File" and start a new task. Type DWM.exe. Check if the facility is now running.
If it is now running, you may have a program hanging, which does not support it. The only way you can ascertain which one is to look under the start up tab in Msconfig, and experiment with programs which are being loaded on initial start.

You have not recently changed to the basic theme? This will also stop it.
Check that your Aero is enabled (Right click the Start orb - properties - taskbar tab, and you will see the option.
If this is all in order, then look in the task manager - Processes, and see if you have a program running DWM.exe. This is the Desktop Manager. If it is not, go up to the "File" and start a new task. Type DWM.exe. Check if the facility is now running.
If it is now running, you may have a program hanging, which does not support it. The only way you can ascertain which one is to look under the start up tab in Msconfig, and experiment with programs which are being loaded on initial start.

Thank you, RAK.
Sorry, I think my previous description was not clear enough. The feature is to preview the window when mouse hovering over thumbnails preview. A few weeks ago, I switched to 'Best performace'. When I found no difference, I switched to 'Best Appearance'. After that, I found the feature was gone. When I edit the property of taskbar, I can only three options
1. Lock the taskbar
2. Auto-hide the taskbar
3. Use small icons

Can anyone advise? Thanks!

It sure sounds like Aero is disabled. Have you had any hardware changes? Did you make any changes to your graphics drivers?

Let's see if you have enough horsepower to run Aero. Go to Control Panel > System and Security > System, then click on Windows Experience Index. You need at least a 3.0 under Graphics for Aero to run. What is your score? If above 3.0, follow the instruction Link Removed - Not Found to have Windows "Find and Fix" problems with transparency and other visual effects.

If under 3.0, then something changed in the way your system allocates resources for graphics. We will need some information about your hardware (PC make and model, or motherboard and/or graphics card information).

The last post was a week old. Let's try to keep posts pertinent and timely, okay geeklove2rock?

Enhance the Taskbar's Application Launching

The Windows 7 taskbar combines window management with an application launcher, since you can right-click on any item and pin it to the taskbar, but that's not nearly enough for a power user. We've already told you how you can boost your productivity with Jump Lists, and that starts with using some more powerful application launchers that enhance your taskbar experience-Jumplist Launcher consolidates applications into a single button, while JumpLaunch turns your Quick Launch folder into a Jump List.
If you like some minimal eye candy for your taskbar, check out the slick 7 Stacks utility, or use Standalone Stack to not only launch applications, but browse through your file system with popup navigation that can be pinned to your taskbar. Of course, you aren't limited to launching applications, since you can also close all windows from the taskbar.

Tweak Your Taskbar Settings

340x_sshot-2010-05-06-_11-32-02_-_1__01.jpg
Now that you fully understand all of the tips and tricks to using the built-in features, it's time to tweak the taskbar to work just the way you want it to-for instance, if you don't want taskbar buttons pulling up the Aero Peek thumbnails every time, there's a registry hack that can change the default left-clicking behavior to switch to the last active window instead.
Rather than dealing with messy registry hacks, the 7 Taskbar Tweaker customization tool gives you fine-grained control over what happens when you left, middle, or right-click on taskbar buttons, and even customizes window grouping and whether dragging to the taskbar pins items or opens them. If the new Aero Peek doesn't work quite the way you want, you can use a registry hack to make Aero Peek display instantly, or just use the Desktop Peek Tweak tool to make the changes more easily.
340x_sshot-2010-05-06-_11-34-19_-_1_.jpg
If the look and feel is what you want to change, you can check out AeroWorks to re-skin your Windows 7 taskbar without patching anything, or use the Windows 7 Start Button Changer to change that orb to something that fits your mood a little better. You can use the Windows 7 Taskbar Thumbnail Customizer to tweak the size and spacing of the thumbnail windows that show up when you hover your mouse over a taskbar button. You can even get the old-style network activity icon back in the system tray if you really want it.

Back