Windows 7 How to fix the BOOTMGR is missing error.

RingAnimated

I'm very sure, especially if you've ever installed a second HDD on your computer yourself you have seen this message. BOOTMGR is missing Ctrl+Alt+Del to restart.

Basically when it says to restart it is assuring you no treatment will work, WRONG! this is one of the easiest problems ever to fix, if you have your Windows 7/Vista installation disc.

First step - Boot from installation media

Second step - Go through everything until you find a button that says "Repair your computer"

Third step - Let it run though, on the first time, it will not find a WORKING operating system, restart when it prompts and boot the disc again.

Forth step - Repeat Second step, and now your OS should be listed, click on it and run Startup Repair.

Fifth step - Do NOT boot from disc, because it should now be fixed.

(this i have only tested on 7, idk if this completely complies to Vista)

I hope this has fixed your problems and please respond if it worked, or if it didn't work with all info about the failed attempt. Thank You, -The Xenocorn

Last edited:
Good post. Thanks.

I myself have found that if the "BOOTMGR is missing" comes right after installing a second HDD, usually, all you have to do is rearrange the HDD boot order in the BIOS.

Good post. Thanks.

I myself have found that if the "BOOTMGR is missing" comes right after installing a second HDD, usually, all you have to do is rearrange the HDD boot order in the BIOS.
That does sometimes work but i had a corrupted win8 also on one of my HDD's and it kept trying to boot it i think.

Usually this is one of the abnormal behavior of Windows, and all you need to do is to reboot once or twice. Or fifteen times. Something.

It's an "electrical failure", in need to be kicked in proper place.

Yeah, like i said, this happened after i installed a hard drive with XP on it and cleared it, all i had to do is what i wrote there. A good side effect of this error is a corrupted 2nd OS that won't move no matter what you do (even a reformat) is after the fix it is gone.

Back
Top Bottom