how to get command prompt through safe mode

Discussion in 'Windows 7 Help and Support' started by qamarmiqdad, Aug 19, 2013.

1. Matthew Oakley

Matthew Oakley New Member

It puts the computer back to the startup menu

2. Pauli

Pauli Extraordinary Member
    Premium Supporter

Going to Safe Mode via F8 is a bit of Trial and Error - the whole start goes very fast, you have to train it.

Another way is to press Reset button on your computer after your Windows started or at some point > it will give you options because "Windows wasn't shut down properly" - one of these options is "Start in Safe Mode".

3. JoshDestardi

I feel really sorry for the OP. Is no one actually taking the time to understand his issue? This made me cry and laugh at the same time.

Here's the parameters:
    Work PC at home, not connected to Company's network.
    User forgot the Password to this non-connected PC.
    No access to an installation CD

User is able to select 'Start PC in Safe Mode w/Command Prompt'
    HOWEVER - The PC only starts up in Safe Mode and takes the User to the LOGIN SCREEN.

IS IT POSSIBLE - To display the COmmand Prompt window without logging in?

4. BIGBEARJEDI

BIGBEARJEDI Honorable Member
    Premium Supporter

Hi Josh, interesting that you picked up on a thread that's nearly 2 years old here. In fact, I deal with this sort of problem on a regular basis, and there is nothing to feel sorry about for the OP. You'll notice that he never replied back with his final solution. We gave him the information, and then MatthewOakley jumped on the bandwagon and asked the same question as the OP in a different syntax.

To answer your direct question, based on the information the OP provided and what you restated; it is NOT possible to display the command prompt window in Window7 without loggin in using built in Windows tools. I mentioned at least 3 multiple open source programs that can recover the OP's password in my Post (did you READ that??). Those are special advanced Linux based tools that manipulate the SAM files in the Windows registry to recovery and or reset the Admin password so that the Command Prompt can be accessed through WindowsRE (Recovery Console). If all 3 of those tools fail to work, then that computer is hosed, and needs to be repaired, replaced, or professionally fixed. Period. I also asked the OP if he tested his hard drive. He did not reply back, yet that is the #1 failed component in all computers older than 3 years old; which a Windows7 computer is going to be. For someone in an IT support position he had little grasp of these procedures. He appeared to lack formal training, and most likely he was not a licensed or certified Technician. Hence, his unwillingness to report back on the solutions we provided him.

So, he either chucked that Computer, or had someone else more experienced in his Company fix it, or perhaps he couldn't solve that problem and is no longer working for that Company on that problem, or perhaps he gave up and just left the IT business. Happens.

You're question has been answered.

<<<BIGBEARJEDI>>>

Pauli likes this.
  5. Pauli

Pauli Extraordinary Member
    Premium Supporter

All trades have beginners, amateurs and professionals. Not to mention the wast amount of gray shade between. Happily knowing, some do know. Cheers!

6. BIGBEARJEDI

BIGBEARJEDI Honorable Member
    Premium Supporter

Well said, Pauli!!

<<<BBJ>>>