Windows Vista how to have 1 active window on 1 monitor and another active window on another?

GoTTi

i hope i am asking the right question....

on my laptop, i can plugin my lcd tv and dual screen. i setup a video game to load on screen 2 (the lcd tv) and the desktop stays on screen 1.

when i went to play the game on screen 2, and actively used the mouse on screen 1, i lost control of the game from the controller because screen 1 became active.

so i am looking to see if it is possible to actively play the game on screen 2 AND at the same time have screen 1 be working for me, like browsing the web or whatever it is. is that possible?

i thought i did it before with NES ROMS, but i cant remember what i did ;(

Hi

I'm pretty sure that you can't do that.

To do it you would have to be running two different control inputs at the same time i.e. two mice, and two keyboards.

Each one dedicated to a single monitor, and I just don't see any way to do that.

You can display different windows at the same time by spreading the display across two screens the same way you do with snap on your monitor, you could see the game on one monitor and your browser on the other, but it's still one window.

You could probably run a video on one monitor and play the game on another but you would not be able to input commands to both at the same time.

Mike

Last edited:
It's all in how the apps are made/compiled. Most can not do this.

Take something like Windows Media Center and try alt-tabbing out of it and using internet on the other screen. Now this is an example of one that can do it.

You could press Window Key+P wihich will show the different screen setups and choose the TV as your monitor solo monitor.

Basher

[langtitle=fr]Re: how to have 1 active window on 1 monitor and another active window on another?[/langtitle]

You could press Window Key+P wihich will show the different screen setups and choose the TV as your monitor solo monitor.

Basher
[lang=fr]i dont understand...what do you mean?[/lang]

Re: [langtitle=fr]Re: how to have 1 active window on 1 monitor and another active window on another?[/langtitle]

Press the windows key on your keyboard and P together to get the following display

monitor.jpg

and choose TV/Projector Only

Basher

Re: [langtitle=fr]Re: how to have 1 active window on 1 monitor and another active window on another?[/langtitle]

I was curious, so I tried that and nothing happened, and I do have my computer hooked up to my HD TV and my monitor?

ya it cant be done i guess with standard windows option for the monitor. maybe there is a application out there or someone can put together that would let us do this...that would be cool to have.

Back