Windows 8 How to Install the Windows 8 Consumer Preview

Mike

Windows Forum Admin
Staff member
Premium Supporter

This video tutorial demonstrates how to clean install the Windows 8 Consumer Preview, which was released to the public on February 29, 2012 and expires on January 15, 2013. The Windows 8 Consumer Preview is an open beta test presentation of Microsoft Windows 8, the successor to Windows 7 and next-generation client operating system from Microsoft Corporation.

In this demonstration, you will be shown how to free, legitimate copy of the Microsoft Windows 8 Consumer Preview, with product key, and install the operating system in a clean environment. In this video, the installation of the 64-bit version is demonstrated.

Last edited:
I have installed W7 Beta twice, so far. Both times as a dual-boot w/ W7. Both are x64. Installs took 10 to 15 mins. w/ bare-bones OS taking up about 15GB. Cheers, Drew I'd like to look @ this video sometime soon.

I installed mine on a Virtual hard drive. I made the virtual drive first and then you had to go into Command Prompt to attach disk.
Joe

Now, with the release of Windows 8 Release Preview, you also have the choice of an in-place upgrade.
Just start up Windows 8 DP/CP, pop in your disc of the downloaded copy of the Release Preview, click on the prompt that will appear in the upper right corner of your screen and click on the "Run exe.", then follow the prompts.
The only drawback of this method is, when you get to the "Install Screen" you're presented with this;
70f4lw.jpg

which one can only assume, it means just that, you would have to re-install any programs/apps that you've had on the DP/CP.
Basically, it seems to be an in-place clean install and clicking on "Change selection" will take you to the previous window, where "Nothing" is checked and you are not able to change it.
So, although this is an alternative installation process, you're better off making your selection from the cold boot from disc method, unless of course, you don't mind re-installing all your programs.

Don

Don,

You are interpreting correctly. It is, in fact & indeed, still, doing a clean install. A nice way of going from 1 to the other but, w/out letting ppl have any choice whereby they could try an, actual, upgrade path, in usual sense. Ergo, this way or the other way, will, still, have to re-install stuff. When, the GA is released, true upgrades from Win7 & so on, will be possible where, one does not lose everything.

Cheers,
Drew

Last edited by a moderator:
Back