Windows 7 How to install Windows 7 on a GPT hard disk (larger than 2TB)?

Zed

Hello everyone,
I just got a new 3TB hard disk and I can't install Windows 7 64 bit on it.

I have added the disk to another computer and I converted it to GPT (GUID). Now it has two partitions: 400 GB and 2,400 GB. (when I try to install Windows it also says it has a 128MB partition of type MSR before those two partitions)

My motherboard is ASUS F2A85 V PRO FM2 (bought in Nov 2012) and it has UEFI. When I start the computer, at the bottom of the screen it says: " Please press DEL or F2 to enter UEFI BIOS setting".

When I enter the UEFI, on the top-right of the screen, it says: "ASUS UEFI BIOS Utility - EZ Mode" or "ASUS UEFI BIOS Utility - Advanced Mode".

So my motherboard has UEFI. Although I don't know why it says "UEFI BIOS" since UEFI is a replacement for BIOS. Maybe for helping the users who were used to have BIOS?

I tried to install Windows 7, 64 bit from an installation DVD. I also tried with another installation DVD having Win7 64 bit SP1.

When I try to install Windows on the first partition (the 400 GB one), it says "Windows cannot be installed on this disk. The selected disk is of the GPT partition style".

I do not understand: I have a modern motherboard that has UEFI, my hard disk is converted to GUID Partition Table (GPT). My installation DVD is Win7 64 bit. Why it can't install it?

I have tried this many times before, always got stuck in the same spot. It was not a priority for me to do it, but now it is since I just replaced the last 2TB disk that I had. Now all the disks I have are bigger than 2TB.

thanks.

Last edited:
Try installing to the 2TB drive again but this time when you get to the screen which displays the partitions delete them all and then simply click 'next', don't format it or anything else. You can always create partitions later using the Storage manager.

As kemical mentions, you need to let the Windows 7 x64 SP1 install to a clean drive. The install process will set the drive up for you as long as there are no prior partitions.

Converting the drive to GPT prior to starting the install will place the MSR partition in the wrong place and the install cannot delete it.

Back
Top Bottom