Windows 7 How to Minimize outlook 2007 to system tray

GuffBall

Ok so in Vista I could right click on the outlook icon and choose minimize to system tray; that way it was still running and would send and receive every 30 min.

How do I do this in Windows 7?

Or any other program...

I noticed with Windows Live Messenger but Outlook is the same issue.. how do i get active 'background' programs out of my taskbar? They're clutter. It seems insane that MS would release a Windows with that removed.

I spent the last two hours trying to get live mail to run in the background ... here is what I'll be posting to my blog:

Run Windows Live Email in Background or minimized to tray (hidden icons)
Can't be done under Windows 7.... that's what I finally concluded after
a couple hours of research and testing all the possibilities I could find.
This means that if you want to monitor your pop3 email account you
MUST keep the huge Windows Live Email button open on your task bar
all the time.
I considered this UNACCEPTABLE and searched for alternative options
POP Peeper is a FREE third party application that checks your email
AND it runs in the hidden icon tray !
Primary Features
Easy Setup - accounts are imported from your existing email client(s)
Supports POP3, IMAP (including GMail, AOL, AIM, Netscape, FastMail, SMTP,
GMail, Hotmail\MSN\LiveMail, Yahoo, Mail.com, MyWay, Excite, Lycos.com, etc.
Read, delete, print and reply to Email without opening your email client
Send email directly from POP Peeper from Address book
Options to protect you from messages that contain viruses and web bugs
Send, save and open file attachments
Run POP Peeper off your portable storage device
No account limit -- notifies you of an unlimited number of accounts
Many ways to receive new mail notification: skinnable desktop alerts, audio, flashing scroll lock LED and more
Specify how often all accounts are checked for new mail or set individual intervals for each account
POP Peeper - Email Notification
Note: If pop peeper opens your email program and you have no email, it went
to the JUNK folder.

- Start Outlook
- Click show hidden icons in taskbar
- Right click on Outlook icon and choose Hide when minimized

Maybe they are thinking of or talking about Outlook Express which doesn't exist in 7. You have the option of using WL Mail which minimizes to the Taskbar, no problem @ all. Outlook (part of MS Office) also minimizes to the Taskbar w/ no problem.

I have both +, of course, Hotmail & no problem leaving them running & minimized on the Taskbar... if that is what you mean by "in the background" hen there is no problem & it works (does it) just fine.

Drew

We don't want it minimzed to task bar... we want it running all the time but out of the way.. minimized to hidden icons folder... which is like the quick launch meun under Vista. Outlook express does that easil but as you correctly pointed out, Outlook express does not run on Win 7 (without some complicated tweaks to force it).

Conclusion... under windows 7 you run Windows Live Mail - not Outlook - and Live Mail will not minimize to hidden icons... there is no way to keep it running and out of the way --so you need a third party program that polls your email accounts and tells you when you have new email...that does get out of the way -- in the hidden icons menu.

Solution

You can minimize outlook to the system tray (by the clock) in windows 7. Its actually quite easy.
Open outlook
go to the little arrow by the clock in the system tray and click it.
in the window that opens you should see an icon for MS outlook. Right click this icon.
Click "Hide when minimized"
now minimize outlook, it should minimize to the system tray at this point.

Re: Solution

Hi Guffball,

My solution is similar to Rccypher :

Issue:
Minimize Outlook 2007 to system tray instead of taskbar
Reason:
By default windows 7 will not hide any icons

Solution:
Open Outlook
Click on the small arrow besides the clock
Click on the link named "Customize"
Besides microsoft outlook select "Show icons and notification'
Now you will see an icon for outlook in the system tray
right click the outlook icon on the system tray and select the option named" hide when minimized"
then try to minimize Outlook.
And its done. :)

Regards,
Manjeet,
B'lore

Re: Solution

I use TaskSwitchXP to minimize to system tray anything, even some windowed games (e.g. Dirt 2), all it takes is to right-click on the minimize caption _[]x of a window.

Back