Windows 7 How to permanently remove programs from the Start Menu

pintree3

In another post someone asked the question: How to permanently remove/ban programs from the Start Menu Recent List? (Since manually deleting them will only get them back on once the program is started again.) The sole answer gave a suggestion to "switch the feature off". This answer though useful to some is not to me. Those programs which are indeed often used are on the desktop via a shortcut. Those on the start menu, are programs not often used or perhaps only used this week, then not used for 2 months, then used again later once. Therefore, as the reader suggested, to then, after turning the feature off and"add links to the programs you do want there manually" doesn't do it since I may not want them there 'next week' nor do I like the idea of me having to manually add them and manually remove them all the time. In Windows XP there used to be a little Microsoft program called TweakUI (Power Toys) that would do exactly that--controlled which programs could go there and which could not. Considering that TweakUi was originally made for the 1st or 2nd Windows version (before Windows 95) I hesitate to use it again for Windows 7. Does anyone have a suggestion?

This link might prove helpful? Link Removed - Invalid URL

This link might prove helpful? Link Removed - Invalid URL

Truly thanks for your help. I've tried many tweakers, of which 'Ultimate Windows Tweaker' which you mention is one of them. Strangely enough although it has a zillion features it does not have the one I am looking for. (If it does I did not notice it. It has so many things you could do with it that I found it overwhelming).

Thanks again

I'll see if I can find what your looking for..

Last edited:
I'll see if I can find what your looking for..
From the bottom f my heart I thank you. If I may, since Microsoft's power Toy, TweakUI did a wonderful job of this in Winows XP (and before) do you think it safe to use it on Win7? I could not find any literature saying it can or can't. (oops one reader did suggest against it)

Hello pintree3,

I'll let kemical continue his search, as far as using TweakUI for Windows 7, it does work with 7 and you may have to run it in compatibility mode, the only issue I've heard of was, when uninstalled, it will wreak havoc on your icons, which is not that hard to repair, more of an annoyance, but as I said, it will work.
So if you do decide to use it, just make a Restore Point beforehand.

Hope this helps

Don

Back
Top Bottom