Windows 7 How to repair/restore Win7 boot?

felipe

Hello there, and thank you for this platform, where we can try to resolve our problems.

I installed a dual booting in my computer w/Win7 ultimate together with Ubuntu 9.10. Ubuntu went corrupt for some reason, I've been trying to fix it for the last three days but decided to give up as it has given me more problems than solutions. The thing is, as some of you might already know, ubuntu installed Grub, this application that boots the computer and allows to pick between various OS. I tried to fix the windows booting both with Ubuntu live CD, and with Windows 7 recovery DVD without results.

I write this to you guys because I thought of deleting Ubuntu partition with EASEUS Partition Master, but then thought Windows wouldn't start because the computer boots from Grub, which if I'm not wrong is in the Ubuntu partition. Am I right?

I hope some of you has lights on this issue as I have put almost 30 GB in the Linux Partition that I can't use at all...

Kindest regards and thanks in advance!

PS: I searched the site to see if there was a similar post but couldn't find any, if there is, please apologize me.

Hello there, and thank you for this platform, where we can try to resolve our problems.

I installed a dual booting in my computer w/Win7 ultimate together with Ubuntu 9.10. Ubuntu went corrupt for some reason, I've been trying to fix it for the last three days but decided to give up as it has given me more problems than solutions. The thing is, as some of you might already know, ubuntu installed Grub, this application that boots the computer and allows to pick between various OS. I tried to fix the windows booting both with Ubuntu live CD, and with Windows 7 recovery DVD without results.

I write this to you guys because I thought of deleting Ubuntu partition with EASEUS Partition Master, but then thought Windows wouldn't start because the computer boots from Grub, which if I'm not wrong is in the Ubuntu partition. Am I right?

I hope some of you has lights on this issue as I have put almost 30 GB in the Linux Partition that I can't use at all...

Kindest regards and thanks in advance!

PS: I searched the site to see if there was a similar post but couldn't find any, if there is, please apologize me.

Hello and Welcome to Windows7forums. :)

You are right in a way.. if you simply 'delete' the Ubuntu partition then you will run into some problems trying to boot up Windows 7..

It would be easier for you just to format both partitions and reinstall Windows 7 via Clean Install.. :) That way, you are starting fresh and won't have any lingering problems from the previous setup..

The trick to dual booting is to install the OS's from old to new.. So you should have installed Ubuntu first followed by Windows 7.. That's really irrelevant now though.. If you do not wish to format and do a clean install of Windows 7, there are other ways to fix this issue but like I said before, formatting and clean install would be the best route..

Please report back what it is you decide to do and we'll help you out every step of the way..

I do find it odd that you were unable to fix this problem using both repair discs...

1. Boot from your Windows 7 DVD and then choose the repair option
2. At the repair option choose the command prompt and use the command:
bootsect /nt60 C

{enter}
bootrec /fixmbr
{enter}

Since it is sometimes hard to see your setup, could you take a snipping tool picture of your Disk Management Windows and attach using the paperclip?

Since it is sometimes hard to see your setup, could you take a snipping tool picture of your Disk Management Windows and attach using the paperclip?

Hi Saltgrass, I hope this is what you meant.
Cheers!
Screenshot1.jpg

Because you have the system reserved partition, the commands will have to be altered somewhat.

bootsect /nt60 sys /mbr

This one may work by itself, but other commands that were mentioned,

bootrec /fixmbr
bootrec /fixboot

Hit enter after each one and the first one may do the trick, or possibly do the other ones. These can all be run after booting to the Install DVD or Repair CD and going to the command prompt.

If these do not help, let us know.

Because you have the system reserved partition, the commands will have to be altered somewhat.

bootsect /nt60 sys /mbr

This one may work by itself, but other commands that were mentioned,

bootrec /fixmbr
bootrec /fixboot

Hit enter after each one and the first one may do the trick, or possibly do the other ones. These can all be run after booting to the Install DVD or Repair CD and going to the command prompt.

If these do not help, let us know.

Hi there and thanks again...

Is it safe after I get my Windows booting back to overwrite the Ubuntu partition with EASEUS partition manager?

Are you sure those commands are going to work and are not going to mess up windows or something? sorry if I sound stupid with those questions, it's just that i do not know pretty much about commands and I dont want to damage my windows as i have lots of info there...

Thanks for the advices and sorry if i sound too ignorant on the issue...

Greetings!

Problem solved.

Hello again!

I could fix the problem with a tool called super grub, ironically from the people of linux. All I did was boot from the internal CD drive with the super grub CD in it. The software has something similar as "WIN BOOT ####" option, and all I did was hightlighting that, and as I hit enter windows was back to normal. Afterwards I rebooted to be sure windows booting was OK, and it was. So I took Partition Manager, erased the Linux partition and reboot last time, and that was it.
I'd recommend to give an eye to super grub, very powerful tool.

Thanks to all that help me! We can consider this thread closed.

Cheers!

Felipe.

So, you never tried our suggestions, but you were willing to try an unknown utility....uhmmm...

And just so anyone else reading this thread will know, the command I gave works perfectly..no need to download additional software.......

Last edited:
So, you never tried our suggestions, but you were willing to try an unknown utility....uhmmm...

And just so anyone else reading this thread will know, the command I gave works perfectly..no need to download additional software.......

Hi Saltgrass, it's my fault that I did not say everything I did.

I tried to boot from my recovery dvds, but somehow I couldn't find the command prompt you indicated me. As I had that cd I said before, I tried the option it had for windows and it worked. I think the problem is that I made those dvds with an HP-Cyberlink application and not with the default application from Microsoft. I'm sure your suggestions would've worked well, had i had the right DVD.

Sorry for the inconvenience.

Greetings, Felipe.

Back