Windows 7 How to share a local printer to other remote computers?

pstein

Extraordinary Member
I have a working local Laserprinter under 64bit Win7.

Through LAN another Win7 computer is connected. The remote computer can access local shared folders successfully. But it cannot access the local laser printer (connected through USB).

How can I share the local printer to other computers in LAN?

Do I have to define local printers explicitely as shared/accessible? Or are they automatically accessible (provided that the local user account and passwort is known at the remote computer?

Do I have to install the printer driver in general at the remote computer as well or is the printer driver on the local computer enough?

Peter

Yes.... and yes.
First make sure that you have file and printer sharing enabled in the network and sharing center on the computer hosting the printer.
Then, again on the computer hosting the printer, open "Devices and Printers", select and then right click the printer you want to share and choose "Printer properties"
Use the sharing tab to share it and give it a simple name, short and sweet no spaces.
As far as the driver install, the short answer is yes you need to install it on the client machine that is accessing the share. The good news is that if the client can use the one that exists on the host machine then it will do so automatically. If not (say in the case of a 64bit driver being slightly different than a 32 bit driver) you will need to obtain the correct driver from the printer manufacturer's website.
Hope this helps
Regards
Randy

Thank you. But there are still some problems:

Then, again on the computer hosting the printer, open "Devices and Printers", select and then right click the printer you want to share and choose "Printer properties"
Use the sharing tab to share it and give it a simple name, short and sweet no spaces.

Hmm, in my properties there is NO "sharing" tab. See the following snapshot:

Link Removed - Invalid URL

Whats wrong?

Peter

I suspect you are clicking on "properties" and not "printer properties" should be two options choose the one in the middle, not the one at the bottom. I'm going by what's available in the right click context menu on Win7, as I don't currently have a vista machine available to me to test and check.

Back
Top Bottom