Windows 7 HP CM1312 Printer Setup is missing Solution Center

allenn

Extraordinary Member
I installed the HP CM1312nfi printer drivers for Vista in compatibility mode on Win 7 Pro. At the time, HP did not have Win 7 drivers for this printer. After the printer setup completed, I had full functionality in Win 7 just like Vista. Well, I was looking for information on the HP Support website for my printer. I noticed that HP had posted a setup package for the CM1312nfi MFP. I downloaded the Win 7 setup package; uninstalled the Vista drivers; and installed the new Win 7 setup, Big Mistake. The setup is a two pass affair to get all software installed. After a reboot, I right clicked the HP Digital Imaging Monitor icon in the Win 7 Notification area; and to my surprise, the Launch/Solution Center was replaced with a Launch/Show Director. I looked at the HP Support website for anything that explained why I no longer had the Solution Center. I could not find anything that explained the change, so I unistalled and re-installed the Win 7 printer setup only to get the same thing.

Do I have a setup software issue or did HP cobble the driver package and leave the Solution Center out?

Followup to previous CM1312nfi MFP Post

I did a complete uninstall of the HP Win 7 v5.1 CM1312nfi printer driver and software. I deleted all remaining folders and files, and I cleaned the Win 7 registry. This was the third time I uninstalled this mess.

I ran the Vista v5.0 CM1312nfi printer driver setup package in Vista Sp2 compatibilty mode which runs at a snails pace. I now have the Solution Center and all is great again! The Scanner app actually works as does ToolboxFX. I basically wasted a lot of time with HP's Win 7 v5.1 CM1312nfi printer setup package.

Allen, thank you for your post. I just installed Windows 7 (x64) last week, and was looking for the CM1312 drivers. I tried installing the Vista package, but it wouldn't install, and I didnt want to install it in compatibility mode. So I actually held off installing it alltogether, and was checking HP website daily. I noticed yesterday that they have finally posted Win7 driver, so I installed it last night.

The printer seems to work just fine, but the ToolboxFX isn't installed and not running. Now that I see your post, you're saying I should install Win7 driver in Vista compatibility mode regardless? I will try that right now.

P.S. Wait, I just realized that you installed the old 5.0 Vista package in compatibility mode. I think I'm going to hold off on that.

Update:

Without uninstalling the 5.1 software, I ran setup again and chose install additional features, and it installed ToolboxFX. Everything is running just fine now!

And yet another update... the scanner application seems to be very crippled, it lets you scan, but it does not have a full interface like Vista version, it just lets you scan the full page and save the file. No editing on the fly.

And yet another update... the scanner application seems to be very crippled, it lets you scan, but it does not have a full interface like Vista version, it just lets you scan the full page and save the file. No editing on the fly.

Well we are on the same page regarding the HP Win 7 v.5.1 driver package. It sucks! The scanner app is more than crippled, and I think you will agree with me after trying several scans. The Win 7 v.5.1 scanner app has none of the functionality of the v.5.0 Vista scanner app / driver. You cannot resize, rotate, edit the scanned documents. Also, the Solution Center and Document Manager are not contained in v.5.1. It took me two install and uninstalls before I realized that my installs were working as planned by HP, and I came to the conclusion that HP had reduced the functionality in the Win 7 v.5.1 printer package. Finally, when I compared the v.5.0 and v.5.1 dll's, they are distinctly different which means HP either wrote new CM1312 drivers for Win 7 or pulled drivers from one of the newer laser printer setup packages. I believe the latter case is probably what happened, because of the reduced functions. I guess HP thought that owners of the CM1312 color laser would be happy with less than the Vista functionality in Win 7.

On that note, I installed the Vista v.5.0 driver package via Vista compatiblilty mode. I now have the same funtionality as my Vista PC which includes the Solution Center (with the great scanner app), Document Manager, and ToolboxFX. I do not plan to install the Win 7 v.5.1 printer setup again until HP fixes the functionality issues. Less is better sometimes, but not in this case. Best Wishes!

In my opinion HP made a big mistake not releasing the Win 7 version of their drivers and software to the beta testers. Most of the bugs could have been fixed by the time Win 7 went final. I had to go back to The Vista software and driver to get my laptop printing wirelessly. I could scan and copy fine. Maybe after a update or two?

HP expects you to purchase a new printer each time Microsoft introduces a new OS. I have an HP 2000C which was good for Win XP but not VISTA. I had to create my own setup package for this printer. Given the newness of the CM1312nfi and the length of time HP had to create printer drivers for Win 7; it surprises me that HP could not produce something that at least has similar functionality as the Vista drivers. Win 7 v. 5.1 setup just does not get the job done.

The CM1312nfi Driver Support in Windows 7 beyond sucks

First off the Micrsoft link says the 1312 driver installs "automatically" and intergrates with Device Stage in Windows 7?

Who has got this working? I have tried automatic install about 10 times on 3 PCs and NOTHING. The device is absolutely not recognized and there is no support for it in Windows 7 either on the disk or downloaded?

I have tried the W7 5.1 package from HP in all its country versions - they ALL SUCK.

It is a serious retrograde step going from Vista to 7 with this printer driver. Double click on the Digital Monitor Icon - which used to launch Solution Center now does exactly NOTHING (it does ring the bell twice, which is perfectly clear). There are no solutions. The scanning solutions, which is not even director is very akin to working at the command line.

How does HP build a 480Mb package with little functionality. How could anyone in their QA department agree on releasing this mess to the marketplace.

But don't worry, the explanation from HP on when all this will be fixed is perfectly clear - just click on the following link:

<INSERT LINK HERE>

In case you are wondering where that link is, don't worry, I am too.

All problems fixed in the next release and by release, I mean printer release not driver release - roll on the 1313.

..............I have tried the W7 5.1 package from HP in all its country versions - they ALL SUCK.

It is a serious retrograde step going from Vista to 7 with this printer driver. ............... All problems fixed in the next release and by release, I mean printer release not driver release - roll on the 1313.

I could not agree more with your assessment. The HP Win 7 drivers for this printer are terrible. I suggest you install the Vista Pkg. It works great in Win 7 Pro. It has same functionality as it does in Vista.

Back