Windows 8 HP Desktop with Windows 8 Home, can't access IE from Start Screen

cjaxon

Running Windows 8 on HP. Have Microsoft Account set up and am able to access IE from Desktop but not from Start Screen. When I go to Network and Internet section, tells me I'm not connected to a network.
What to do?

First of all, clear the Store cache by opening a Run window (Windows Logo key+R), typing wsreset and pressing Enter.

If it doesn't cure it, check the internet connection, i.e. press the Windows Logo key+X (or right-click or press and hold off the bottom left corner) and choose Control Panel > Small Icons > Internet Options > Connections Tab > LAN Settings (at the bottom) and remove the tick from Proxy server > OK, etc.

First of all, clear the Store cache by opening a Run window (Windows Logo key+R), typing wsreset and pressing Enter.

If it doesn't cure it, check the internet connection, i.e. press the Windows Logo key+X (or right-click or press and hold off the bottom left corner) and choose Control Panel > Small Icons > Internet Options > Connections Tab > LAN Settings (at the bottom) and remove the tick from Proxy server > OK, etc.

Thanks for the advice. I did as you recommended. Proxy server was not checked.

Problem remains. I can access IE from desktop. Cannot access IE from Startscreen. Get an error message saying I'm not connected to the network. When I check Network and Internet section, it tells me I don't have a network connection. If that's true, why do I have no problem from the Desktop? I know the IE on the Desktop is a different IE than the one on the Startscreen, but that should not make a difference, since there is only one network.

Try internet options>programs and see the top. That box etc. may affect the explorer.
I'm sure you have done a system restore.

Running Windows 8 on HP. Have Microsoft Account set up and am able to access IE from Desktop but not from Start Screen. When I go to Network and Internet section, tells me I'm not connected to a network.
What to do?

A silly suggestion.....
Do you have your IE pinned to Taskbar? If yes, unpin it.
Try to open IE from Start screen afterwards.

Just a thought. I believe you can retrieve apps you have removed form desktop so maybe deleting and retrieving this explorer app might help.

What to do?

Go to Start screen ( Win logo + C ) > type programs and features > select Programs and Features > left side, select Turn Windows features on or off > scroll down to Internet Explorer 10 > UN-check the box > OK when done.

Restart computer > go back to Programs and Features > Turn Windows features on or off > put a checkmark back on Internet Explorer 10 > OK when done.

Now try opening IE 10 from Start screen.

What to do?

In order for this to happen, IE needs to be your default browser is all....to use the IE metro app.

What do you mean by: When I go to nework and internet section?

Try repairing it.
Open "Windows Features" , uncheck IE 10/11, click OK. Restart PC. Then turn IE 10/11 back on.

Back