Windows Vista I cannot start windows vista! Pls help

I'll be here for the next 40 mins and then again here later this afternoon so if you need any help i won't be far away...

hi! its me again. im still stucked with that problem...i tired to use UBUNTU to back up my files, i dont know if u know this program but i wanted to follow steps from this site Use Ubuntu Live CD to Backup Files from Your Dead Windows Computer :: the How-To Geek but it does not want to mount volume when i wanna open my drive...and the problem in Details is different ...it seems my pc is hibernated or soemthing...it says this

" Windows is hibernated, refused to mount. Failed to mount '/dev/sda4\ : Opertation not permitted THe NTFS partition is hibernated. Please resume and shutdown Windows properly, or mount the volume read-only with the 'ro' mount option,or mount the volume read-write with the 'remove_hiberfile' mount option. For example type the command line : mount -t ntfs-3g -o remove_hiberfile /dev/sda4 /media/disk-1"

u know whats that?

hi,
hm...but i should buy it, i would prefer something free to download, like this ubuntu...or can i use a trial to do that?

and one more thing ;P this program...hw to start it when i cant start windows? i have an image en cd and try to boot its from cd but it doesnt work like ubuntu

Hi Agatina,

It depends what you are trying to do.

If you want to make an image of a partition/drive from within Windows, then restore the image from a boot cd - the free version of Macrium Reflect will do that - better than Acronis in my opinion.

Macrium Reflect FREE Edition - Information and download

If you want a cd you can boot to transfer files much more simply than using using Ubuntu live cd - then the free Paragon Rescue Kit cd can do that.

FREE Rescue Kit 9.0 Express | PARAGON Software Group - free partition software, hard disk partitioning

Boot the cd to load it into memory and it runs from there.

To boot a cd - watch the white writing on black screen when you start the pc.

It will say something like

F2 for setup
F11 for boot menu ( your F numbers may be different)

Choose the one that says boot menu - when the menu pops up - arrow down to cdrom drive - put the cd in the tray and close it - press Enter.

It may ask agan " press any key to boot from cdrom drive" - press enter again.

Agatina,
I thought you were only going to 'upgrade'? That way you'll keep your old files.
I'm unsure why the ubuntu wouldn't work as I'm unfamilar with it but I can see what your trying to do...

Unless you can repair the current installation it's going to be very difficult to back it up as you have no access at this time. (that could even be why the ubuntu is failing)

Why not try the upgrade...

hi kemical
the thing is i can do upgrade! i have a recovery cd just and i dont see an option to do upgrade , just to install windows which cant be made because it is just a recovery cd and it says the file Install.wim dont exist on this cd....thats why i dont know what to do next

You'll see the upgrade option written above the option to do a 'custom' install or doesn't it get that far?

hi, it doesnt, but i give up, i wont try to solve it on my own, tomorrow im seeing my friend who knows things about pcs , so i hope he can do soemthing finally with that ;)

thanks for your help and time

I think that's probably the best idea...

It's far easier to fix a pc when your sat in front of it..

I'm just sorry I couldn't help you..:(

Windows Boot Manager Error Message

regarding your windows boot manager error message, i've got to know that there is a possibility that errors occures when you use Windows installation media which you burned on a fast speed, try to burn another one of your windows installation Disk on a low speed, or connect your computer with a nother DVD Rom and try
hope this would help

Hi, i have the same Problem! and this thread is the first useful thread i have found in the net since this prob started some days ago.

I left my laptop switched on. Listened to some music and then in the morning when i woke up it was stuck to hdd check and did not move a bit.

Then i had to go to work and switched off the computer, assuming it would be solved by restarting. but when i went to work the laptop went black after the micr. corp. page and stayed black.
I can access the safe mode and go online with express gate which is on my motherboard(nice thing when sth like that happens!), so i can safe my data. Now the problem is that i´m in China and don´t have a windows cd.
I would like to know if sb. really found out by now how the problem can be fixed? cause i will be back to my country in one month and either want to get cd´s and dvd´s while i´m still in china so that i can fix the problem immediately when i´m back in country or send my notebook to asus to let it be fixed

THX!

Last edited:
Which key is it?

I tried the Alt+F10 but it didnt´t work

You know which key to hit?

I just bought this laptop and never had that kinda probs with older Windows Versions -.-

Always had a normal XP CD or sth.

Ok, but i guess I can also use these RS links? Or is it the wrong recovery?

Link Removed - Invalid URL

Link Removed - Invalid URL

Back