Windows 7 I can't install new version of graphics driver.

Beqa

I can't install new version of graphics driver.
When I install driver, it asks me to restart my PC, when i restart it, my screen freezes and i can't see anything. Computer is working normally but screen isn't showing anything.
Then I use system restore to use old version of driver again, but I can't play games with old driver. When I try to play games, windows shuts down. It says: Windows has recovered an unexpected shutdown
Problem signature:
Problem Event Name: BlueScreen
OS Version: 6.1.7600.2.0.0.256.1
Locale ID: 1079

Additional information about the problem:
BCCode: 116
BCP1: 84E94510
BCP2: 9063769A
BCP3: C000009A
BCP4: 00000004
OS Version: 6_1_7600
Service Pack: 0_0
Product: 256_1

Some questions to help understand your problem:
  • Can you identify the video brand/model in your computer? Is it what originally came with the computer?
  • Can you identify the original driver and the one you tried to install?
  • What was the original reason for installing a new driver (old driver didn't support the games or it was just reported as out of date; i.e., was the problem with games there originally or did that start after you restored your system)?
  • What is the computer make/model and what is its basic hardware (the kind of basic specs that are advertised)?
  • Did the new driver come from the computer manufacturer's web site, the video card manufacturer's web site, or another source?
  • What are the games you're trying to run? Are they new games designed for current hardware and Windows 7 or are you trying to run old games originally designed for an older version of Windows?
  • Is there a description of system requirements for the games? Should they theoretically run on your system as-is, or do they specify that you need a newer driver?
Without knowing any of the answers, yet, let me throw out one common source of this kind of problem. If the video in your computer is what came with it, you should stick with drivers from the computer manufacturer. Typically, they buy the chip set and build the "equivalent" of the essential components of the retail video card into the motherboard. It is not necessarily exactly the same and it doesn't reflect changes the video card manufacturer makes to the retail products later. The driver provided by the computer manufacturer is designed to work with what is in your computer.

The video card manufacturers provide updates to the drivers for the retail cards that often don't relate to what is in your computer. For example, they may involve extra features on the retail product that are not part of what is on your motherboard. It is very common for drivers from the video card manufacturer, supposedly for the specific "model" in your computer, to cause problems. For this reason, it is a good idea to get drivers from that source only as a last resort and then to consider it lucky if they work in your computer.

Also, the video drivers are often really a package of drivers that are designed to work together. You generally want to replace the entire package if you have to update. Replacing just, say, the graphics driver with a newer file, will often result in that piece not being compatible with the other video driver components.

If that is not the source of your problem, get back to the forum with additional information and it may be possible to diagnose something that is malfunctioning. Recognize, though, that it's possible that certain games may not be compatible with your computer, at least as-is.

I've upgraded my GPU twice since building this rig, and for each card, the next 3 or 4 driver updates from nVidia's Geforce Experience program detailed patches to the driver I had installed that show better performance for my card in games. It's only after the drivers no longer produce any benefits that I consider not updating, or at least waiting to make sure early-adopters haven't found any errors or problems with that driver set.

Sorry, I don't know the process for AMD cards, but I think they issue driver updates less-frequently; nVidia does theirs every month.

It might be a Windows problem > colliding. I would agree with most of what Fixer writes. One easy check, when you look at Control Panel > Device Manager > Display adapters, do you get the right reading? There may be a misreading.

Back
Top Bottom