Windows 7 I can't join a Windows 7 domain

kmnjogu

When trying to add a new Windows 7 machine to a network I get the following error message..."An attempt to resolve the DNS name of a DC in the domain being joined has failed. Please verify this client is configured to reach a DNS server that can resolve DNS names in the target domain." I don't have any problems adding XP machines to the domain and not sure why I can't add a Windows 7 machine. I am able to get on the internet on the Windows 7 PC but can't add it to the domain.pliz assist.

When trying to add a new Windows 7 machine to a network I get the following error message..."An attempt to resolve the DNS name of a DC in the domain being joined has failed. Please verify this client is configured to reach a DNS server that can resolve DNS names in the target domain." I don't have any problems adding XP machines to the domain and not sure why I can't add a Windows 7 machine. I am able to get on the internet on the Windows 7 PC but can't add it to the domain.pliz assist.
At a command prompt on the problem Windows 7 machine type ipconfig /all
check the entry for DNS Server(s)
make sure that that entry corresponds to the correct DNS server for your domain. There should only be one entry and that should be your DNS server.
It's possible that the Windows 7 machine may be getting in-accurate information from what ever is providing DHCP for your network. Typically this would be you DC or another server on the network, with the proper DNS information already embedded into the DHCP scope. So make sure there isn't a router or something else on the network (Rogue DHCP Server) giving out bad addresses. Set the DNS server address statically in the IPv4 properties of the problem machine and while you are in there consider unchecking IPv6, just to see if that may help with the problem.
Also what type of domain is it? 2k3 2k8?
Is it possible that you may have an issue with "Single Label" domain name.

Back