Windows 7 I clicked on a website link in a Yahoo search but got redirected to a blank page that tried to scan

Andrea Borman

Honorable Member
Yesterday I was browsing the web on Yahoo search like I always do. And I was searching for a well known social web hosting forum.That I was visiting two weeks ago and had no problems getting onto that site then. I will not tell you the link as I do not want anyone else to click on it, as it is not safe.

But I clicked on the link from Yahoo search engine but instead of putting me onto the website. I was redirected to a blank page,that said I have got viruses and it needed to scan my computer.And it just closed my web browser,without warning, and started scanning.

I tried to stop it but I could not, so I quickly shut down my computer as this brings everything on my computer to a halt. And then I turned my computer back on again everything seemed normal.

But I did a scan with Windows Defender and MRT-Malicious Software removal tool,just in case. And it never found any viruses or malware. And using system restore to put my computer back in time to BEFORE the event happened helped,I think.

But when I went round to two of my friends house,the same thing happened to them on their computer.When they tried to go onto that website. And I tried some computers in the Internet cafe. And the same thing happened,so it was not just my computer.

But am I right in that the website I visited was trying to install,spyware,a virus or malware on my computer and someone elses computer as well?

As I explain the website is a well known and genuine website that I have visited in the past,well two weeks ago in fact. But now it redirects to that page which seems IS trying to install spyware on an unsuspecting persons computer. And it is not just my computer was trying to do it on.

So am I right was it spyware or a computer virus,that, that redirect was trying to install on my computer? And if so is there anything we can do about it?

As I reported the website link to Google and Yahoo and they have not taken it off of the search engine.
So what if another unsuspecting person clicks on that link? People should be warned about this. Andrea Borman.

Last edited:
Thank you for your reply. But my friends tried to get onto that website and the same thing happened to them on their computer. And they do have an anti-virus program. But that did not stop them from getting onto the site. But like me,they pulled the plug on their computers before it finished the "fake scan."

But I noticed that when it started to scan my friends computer it said 50 worms and said a number of viruses that I did not understand,before he shut his computer down. Which stopped the scan, but his anti virus-Microsoft Security Essentials,said that he had no virus or malware.

So does that not prove that, that redirect link IS trying to install spyware or viruses on other peoples computers?

I think that it could be, that's why I will not publish the link in case someone else clicks on it. As I don't want it to happen to them.But the website itself is a genuine website and the person who owns and runs the web hosting forum is a very well known and professional,web master.

But I do not know about how they host their site, but they said in an online video that they host on a server, which I don't understand and know nothing about anyway.

But someone or something is redirecting that website link to some where else that is trying to scan other peoples computers in order to install a virus or malware on them.

It looks like that, does it not? I have read about such things on the How-To Geek-website.
So the person who is hosting the site needs to do something about it.

I am not experienced at all, to know what tech things they have to do about the redirection to the other link. That is trying to install malware and viruses. But if that person who runs the website forum is hosting on their own server,as they say they are. They should know what to do about it.

And also the search engines,Google,Yahoo and others should at least put a warning up. To warn people about the dangers of going onto the site.

Well,they are not going onto the site because it is redirecting to somewhere else.

Normally when I have searched on Google or Yahoo,I get a warning when I click a link to some software sites. That says" this site may contain malware that can harm your computer." And then it says go to site or back to safety.

And of course you click back to safety,before it is too late.

And they should at least do that for this site or check it out themselves. Instead of just doing nothing about it.

If only there was something that we can do about it. Andrea Borman.

I have a feeling you have an infected computer, and since you did not want to listen to many that tried to inform you of having good Anti Virus Program, spy-ware programs.
If you are infected you need to take the computer to a shop or to somebody that possess the technical skill to remove and fix the problem. I would also recommend that while this shop or person was fixing your problem that you have them install the following:
1. Super anti spy-ware SUPERAntiSpyware.com - Downloads
2. Malware bytes Malwarebytes
3. Link Removed due to 404 Error

I would not recommend one of your friends, as best I can surmise by your postings, they have the same skill level and knowledge you do about computer problems.

I must encourage you not to post the link to this malware-laden page here, or it will be promptly removed. However, I must agree with Super Sarge in stating that you should promptly install anti-virus and anti-malware software to detect the possibility of malware intrusion onto your system. This sort of issue, commonly referred to as a phishing attack, has become the most prominent form of security problem for many systems. As many individuals are led to believe that the page they are going to is credible, they are soon asked (or forced) to scan their computer for malware. Upon doing this, system security can become compromised if any executable files are downloaded and run. A screen will usually appear showing you that you have such and such many threats on your computer, and demand that you give credit card information over. At no point should you follow the directions of any rogue software. The links Super Sarge gave you are credible, and upon downloading and installing this software, I would suggest running the scans several times to ensure such a threat has been eliminated.

Best,
Mike

But there is no guarantee that I or anyone else would not have been redirected to that,redirect link. Even if we do have the strongest anti-virus program on our computer.

The website link is listed as a valid link in Google and both the link and website address is supposed to take you to the genuine website. But it does not. It takes you to somewhere else and it tries to scan your computer. In what I suspect to be an attempt to install viruses or malware or worse on your computer.

What happened was, as soon as the link redirected me to the fake site. It just closed my Safefox browser right away without warning. And a pop up appeared on my desktop saying viruses identified or something like that and that it needed to scan my computer.

And even though I tried to close the pop up,I could not and it started scanning,even though I never clicked the OK button. So I had to turn off my computer to stop it. And it did the same thing to my friends computers and on the computers at the Internet cafe.

There are such things as online scanners from well know sites like Secunia. But they don't scan without your permission and they don't need to shut down your web browser to do it.

And the fact that this "fake scanner" told be I have 50 worms and viruses BEFORE it even scanned. That gives itself away that it was trying to install malware on my computer. And on other the computers that went onto the site.

But it was lucky that I had the sense to turn off the computer and stop the scan. And it seems that from the Windows Defender and MRT scans that say no viruses or malware. And the fact that I used system restore as well. That I am lucky that my computer is not infected with a virus this time. And now that I know about the redirect link,I will not try to access that website again.

But the next person who clicks that link or types in that website address may not be so lucky.

The biggest worry is that if someone does install a virus on your computer,is that they can get your email addresses and passwords. And then there is a real problem. Andrea Borman

I must encourage you not to post the link to this malware-laden page here, or it will be promptly removed. However, I must agree with Super Sarge in stating that you should promptly install anti-virus and anti-malware software to detect the possibility of malware intrusion onto your system. This sort of issue, commonly referred to as a phishing attack, has become the most prominent form of security problem for many systems. As many individuals are led to believe that the page they are going to is credible, they are soon asked (or forced) to scan their computer for malware. Upon doing this, system security can become compromised if any executable files are downloaded and run. A screen will usually appear showing you that you have such and such many threats on your computer, and demand that you give credit card information over. At no point should you follow the directions of any rogue software. The links Super Sarge gave you are credible, and upon downloading and installing this software, I would suggest running the scans several times to ensure such a threat has been eliminated.

Best,
Mike

No Mike,there is no way I will post a link to that bad website or tell anybody where it is. I do not want what happened to me or on my friends computers to happen to anybody else here.

But is there anything that we can do to make the search engines,such as Google and Yahoo take that website link off of it's search engine and pages? I have told them in the link that says report a site. And I have emailed the owner of the site,who also has other sites on the web,as well as that site.

But nothing has been done about it and the site is still on the search engines. And I don't even know if the owner of the site will respond or even take notice of my email. So I have told them about it. Andrea Borman.

Last edited:
"And even though I tried to close the pop up,I could not and it started scanning,"

This is the problem when you get such a pop-up when browsing, You should never I repeat never close the pop-up. By trying to close the pop-up you are installing and activating the Virus/Malware

What should be done is close the browser immediately period
nothing else just close the browser

This is why I said I believe your machine is now infected because you tried to close the POP-UP which is and absolute NO NO

Hi

This is a very common piece of malware right now.
I've seen it on 5 or 6 computers in the last few months.

In every case I've seen Malwarebytes run in safe mode removed it.

Just download the software on another computer, and put it on a thumb drive.
Then install it on the infected computer in safe mode and run it.

Link Removed - Invalid URL

If you have an internet connection working in safe mode you can just download it on your computer and skip the thumb drive step.

As I said it has worked every-time for me.

And as Sarge said never click on anything it the popup.
In fact I tell my friends to just shut your computer down right then, without touching anything, and let it reboot. If it won't shut down through the start orb, then do a manually shutdown.

If the popup comes up when your computer starts up again, you are infected, if not you have probably dodged the bullet.

Mike

Last edited:
Well, not only did I do a system restore yesterday when the incident happened. But I did a factory restore after that. But this time I chose the minimized image restore. Which puts the Netbook back to factory settings, but with only the Windows software,not HP's. So it is like having a clean install of Windows.

But because I was smart enough to shut down my computer before that fake scan could scan it. I think I stopped the virus or spyware from being installed on my computer.

And even though Windows Defender and MRT said that I was clear of viruses and malware. I still did a system restore just in case. And just to be really really sure-I then did a factory restore just in case they-Windows Defender and MRT -missed something.

I think it was unlikely that my computer was infected with a virus, as by shutting it off before it could scan. I stopped it in time. But as I did a factory restore as well as the other things. I think that if there was any spyware,which is unlikely. It is off of my computer now.

But the Windows Defender and MRT scans are accurate.

And I am right to be wary of websites that say they want to scan your computer,when they don't have a right to do that. Andrea Borman.

The Anti Virus Program Micro$oft Security Essentials (MSE) really cannot be called a third party program, it is not included in W7 because competitors and EU would take Micro$oft to court for unfair practices

Well,when I read in one of the posts about Free anti-virus verses paid anti virus-That someone is using an anti-virus program that sometimes blocks access to a site,and that there is no way to override this. I would be very angry if I had a program like that,that say stopped me getting onto My Space or a genuine site. And if I had an anti-virus program, it may tell me a have a virus, when I have not got a computer virus.And it may block programs that are not effected. That is why I don't like anti-virus programs on my computer.

But with Windows Defender, it does not do anything that I don't want it to do. And I could set it to scan my email and take remove the items that are infected with malware or viruses. If it finds anything,but then G.Mail has a spam filter anyway.

But I scanned with that Malwarebytes you recommended, and it said I have no malware or computer viruses. So Windows Defender and MRT was right all along. I don't have a computer virus but I then uninstalled Malwarebytes after the scan. Because I just don't like anti-virus programs. And we have got Windows Defender and Malicious Software removal tool-MRT anyway.

So there must be a good reason why these two tools are bundled with Windows 7,and Windows Vista. They are not included in Windows XP, but you can install them yourself from the website. Andrea Borman.

the removal tool is does not prevent anything, windows Defender is OK I guess, Windows Microsoft Security Essentials does so much more it updates your AV signatures Daily, Malware bytes prevents certain things but not all it is meant to be used in conjunction with other Anti-Virus tools. If you do not want to run a AV fine, but do not come here whimpering that you got infected again, as you really do not want to take basic precautions to prevent a severe infection of your computer.

Well,it was not only redirecting and scanning the Windows computers. One of my friends has Ubuntu,which is Linux. And it was doing the same thing with his computer.

So Linux users are no safer from computer viruses than Windows users are. But there is no anti-virus for Linux. And it could be,but I don't really know, that there is more risk of getting a computer virus on Linux than on Windows. But some people think it is the other way round.

But I am sure that even the strongest anti-virus won't stop I or anyone else being redirected or clicking on a link that redirects.

So it would have happened anyway,even if I did have anti-virus software. Which I don't.

But what happened on Monday with the redirect to the blank page that tried to scan my computer. Is a 1 in 100 chance of happening anyway. It was just bad luck.

But the virus,malware or whatever it was, did not get my computer. Because I shut it down in time. So as Mike said-I dodged the bullet,so to speak. Andrea Borman.

I'm knocking on wood, but I can't ever remember the last time I had a virus.
But I'm a little hyper, about security.

I am running both AVG, and MSE, along with SuperAntiSpyware, and Malwarebytes.

I haven't had any problems running AVG and MSE together so I'm going to keep doing it.

Both of them are set to scan my computer every day, but not at the same time.

I went and removed the fake antivirus thing from another computer this morning.

Mike

Thank you Mike for telling me about Malwarebytes. I downloaded it and ran the scan on all of my computers. But it just proved that the Windows Defender and MRT scans were right. And I had NO VIRUSES OR MALWARE. But then I uninstalled the Malwarebytes as I don't like anti-virus programs.

But you were right, if after I shut down my computer,which I did,there was no pop up after it rebooted,then I was clear. And when I restarted my computer the pop up had gone. So by shutting down the computer, I stopped the fake scan in time.

But if I had been silly enough not to turn off the computer after the blank page started to scan my computer,I could have been infected with a computer virus or malware.

And I told Google and Yahoo about the site that redirects to a blank page and scans the computer of the unsuspecting person. And I even telephoned Google and Yahoo customer services and spoke to them on the phone about it.And I emailed the owner of that site.

Later on, on Tuesday,I got an email from Yahoo and they said. That they could find nothing wrong with that web link. And they said the problem was with my computer and that it could have a virus.

So I wrote back and told them that it was not just happening on my computer but was happening on my friends computers,the office computer and the Internet cafes as well. And I also told them,that it was unlikely, that all of those computers, about 10 different computers.
All in different locations and on different networks could all be affected with a computer virus. I think that the search engine was just covering themselves. Because they did not want to admit they made a mistake. By including that site in their index.

And then yesterday I got an email from the owner of the site that was redirecting everyone who tried to get on it. They said that their server was hijacked by a computer hacker,who was redirecting it. But that the problem has been sorted out. And when I tested that site out again it(from a computer in an Internet cafe to be safe.)I was put onto the webmaster forum. Which is the right website.

But a lot of people seem to think that Windows is full of viruses.I don't know about the early versions of Windows, but I have Windows 7. Which I have had for a year now and I have not had one computer virus. And even if I had Windows XP,which I don't,I don't think it is likely that I would get a computer virus.

So I don't think that my computer is at risk of getting a virus by not having anti-virus installed.

I suppose I could be the unlucky one who gets the computer virus. But as I don't use remote desktop connection or Home group,where you connect to other peoples computers. I don't think it is likely that anyone can hack my computer. Andrea Borman.

Andrea you can't always count on being fast enough to shut your computer off. I use the hosts file and it's very simple to use. You'd help yourself a lot if you got a beginners book like Dummies for Windows and spent some time reading it.
Joe

Yes Joe,you are right. The laptop does not always shut off so quickly. As I said before I was very lucky to escape the computer virus this time. But what happened was just a 1 in 100 chance anyway. That I and everybody else who clicked on that link or typed in that website address was redirected to the blank page that tried to scan the computer.

But it still would have happened,even with an anti-virus program installed. My friends computers had an anti-virus on software them. But that did not stop them from being redirected to the blank page and it trying to scan their computers. Andrea Borman.

Back