I have a question about copy to another hard drive

Cooltwou

My Brother brought a computer home and said the hard drive went bad but I am not exactly sure which Windows is on it and how do move Windows from the bad hard drive to the new hard drive

not exactly sure which Windows
so why did you post in the server forum?

does this system boot- yes = take a photo of the desktop after it boots and we should be able to figgure it out
no = you now have a lovely paperweight or some spare parts... the fact that your bro dumped it makes me think this is the case so I'd format the drive with a view to placing one of the Linux builds

Well he said the computer doesn't boot up and that it's a Windows computer but not sure which version it is

does it at least give a post screen?
post.jpg

I have never hooked it up because he said the hard drive went back and he told me today that it will not boot up this is all I know

ok so what is it you want us to do... help you build a new system?

if the hdd is gone then that cuts into your options a bit mate

Well I ordered another hard drive because I have 2 computers with both having hard drive problems and one has Windows 10 on it and it has a secondary hard drive all ready and the second one my brother said it had 2 hard drives in it and he doesn't know which one is bad because it would never boot up.
Also when have 2 1tb hard drives coming one for each computer

The first thing to do is to attempt to access the BIOS of that broken computer your Brother gave you as per Norway's Post #4. If it doesn't go into the BIOS, open it up and physically remove the hard drive and then power it back up and re-attempt to get to the BIOS. If you don't get any display at all, or hear beeps coming from the computer then the Main board (the Motherboard) is dead and that computer is a doorstop now as Norway said. You are looking at a $175-$1500 replacement/repair cost; and as you probably know brand new PCs are $200 or so now at Best Buy. Give it back to your Brother or better yet, put into his bed to keep him warm at night! :rolleyes:

Also, when asking us for help like this it is customary to give us at least the Make/Model of the computer you are asking for help on. Is it a desktop PC or a laptop? Is it an OEM computer (Dell, HP, Acer, Toshiba, etc.)? Or is a computer that someone built from parts or bought from a clone shop where it was assembled to someone's specs? If so, complete Motherboard hardware specs are required. If you could provide us with that information we can assist you on how to get into the BIOS and what keys on the keyboard you need to hit to get that access. More information on what you have will allow us to better help you. ;)

<<<BIGBEARJEDI>>> :bee:

Well it is a PC but I have no idea of the brand or if it's one he built or if he bought out of a store and I can't put it in my brothers room because we don't live near each other

Ok, thanks. Can you take a photo with your camera-phone for us and post back? We might be able to identify it.

Are there no identifying logos on it such as with OEM computers, for example, Dell, HP, Acer, Gateway, e-Machines, etc.?
What about labels on the outside of the case; on the top, back, or bottom is where they usually put them. Here's a how to locate your Service Tag label file with photos for you: http://www.uis.edu/informationtechn.../sites/106/2013/04/LocatingServiceTagorSN.pdf.

If neither of those PCs turn on *perhaps you should try it!*; they are most likely both broken, dead or both. :down: Otherwise they are just taking up space in your home doing nothing. Buying a new hard drive is a waste of money if those PCs won't even POST to BIOS!! :rolleyes::waah:

Since your brother is giving you non-working computers (sounds like 2 of them!), and no help; perhaps you can drive them over to his house or ship them there via UPS if he lives out of State or out of the Country. . If you're lucky, one of those front-porch package thieves will steal it from his front porch for you. I've got other customers who do this sort of thing--dump their old or non-working computers on family members or friends and make it seem like they are doing you a favor. Then they bring them to me asking if it's worth it to pay me to fix them. Ugghhh... If this is a clone PC, which we suspect it is, you have 2 choices: (1.) take it to a computer repair shop and pay a Tech to figure out what you have and fix it for you; or (2.) Ship it back to him and tell him to stop dumping his junk on you! :ergh:

BBJ

Back
Top Bottom