Windows 7 I need a genius

Nvidia

Hi everyone,

Alright, I'm expiriencing a very weird error, please read carefully as I'm trying to explain this as good as I can.

This all started about 1.5 years ago, my PC would randomly freeze, sometimes it would unfreeze within seconds, sometimes it takes minutes to hours, occasionally it ends with a bluescreen. They only provide pretty generic error codes that don't really help solving this issue. It can go for months without any problems at all and then have a full week of nothing but trouble, its extremly random.

To make matters even worse, I've replaced my entire hardware over the months, except for the mainboard. I flashed the BIOS with the latest version. No improvment.
I've done everything else there possibly is to do to troubleshoot this, from safe mode to reformating, different drivers, disabling most applications, no internet connection......... you name it.

As you have probably figured, this problem isn't related to Win7, it started on Vista, then Win7 and even XP will do it these days.

Like I said it cant really be the hardware cause I'm constantly upgrading. I've narrowed this problem down between the HDDs and the mainboard.
Why am I here ? Because I'd like to have some basic information about Win7 regarding APIC (Advanced Programmable Interrupt Controller)
It seems like APIC might be the the problem here. I have it enabled in my BIOS. I got some basic knowledge about what APIC is and does, but what I need to know in particiular is wether Windows 7 requires APIC to be enabled ?
I know turning it on or off requires a fresh install, but heres where it gets strange. If I turn it off and try to do a clean install with the Win7 DVD (retail) I get an error message (0xc0000225) as soon as the DVD tries to boot. So theres not really a way for me to disable APIC which might'd resolve my issues.

Another thing is, that sometimes when it gets really bad, unplugging my storage drives and only leaving the OS drive connected will help. (More about my setup at the end) Sometimes it wont even boot unless I do this, even with APIC untouched. Then again, this only happens very few times.

I really need help on this one, again, dont suggest any memory defects or god knows what, I've been through it all. It has to be either the HDDs or APIC.

Alright thats it for now, if theres anything else you need to know, I'll be watching this.

Thanks

Hardware:

Intel Core 2 E6850
EVGA 680i SLI (122-CK-NF68)
Corsair 4x 1GB 800Mhz (CM2X 1024-6400C4)
8800GTX
Storage: 2x WD Caviar Black 640GB (WDC WD6401AALS-00L3B2)
Thermaltake 1200 Watt

Software:
Win XP 32bit, Vista 32bit, Win7 64bit.
(I do not have a dual boot set up or any type of RAID config, I've only had one OS installed at a time.)

The way you track down problems is to remove everything you can from the system. Get it down to the basic stuff and see if the problems continue.

Have you replaced the Power Supply?

I saw a message on one of my Win 7 32 and 64 bit installs something about the memory cold not be something, which seemed to mean going from 32 to 64 bit might cause some problems. You might try staying away from the 64 bit for a while.

There are may good hardware forums that might be much more help.

The way you track down problems is to remove everything you can from the system. Get it down to the basic stuff and see if the problems continue.

Have you replaced the Power Supply?

I saw a message on one of my Win 7 32 and 64 bit installs something about the memory cold not be something, which seemed to mean going from 32 to 64 bit might cause some problems. You might try staying away from the 64 bit for a while.

There are may good hardware forums that might be much more help.

Did you even read my post? Not only did I say I've already replaced my entire hardware (inc. PSU), I also said it started way back on Vista 32 and even does it on XP now which I went back to for testing.

Well, if you've ruled everything else out, it has to be the motherboard. It has to be a hardware issue. I'm not sure your going to find an answer on a windows 7 forum. I do hope you can find someone who can help though.

This may not be the right place for him to get his problem completely resolved (as the true cause may lie beyond the forum's scope), but he did ask a specific Windows 7 question that I think someone here should be able to answer. The question is about APIC. People seem to have missed it, so I'll copy it here. (his inquiries to the forum are underlined)

Nvidia said:
Why am I here ? Because I'd like to have some basic information about Win7 regarding APIC (Advanced Programmable Interrupt Controller)
It seems like APIC might be the the problem here. I have it enabled in my BIOS. I got some basic knowledge about what APIC is and does,but what I need to know in particiular is wether Windows 7 requires APIC to be enabled ?

Last edited:
Thats correct, Exp HP. Fwiw, APIC should, and can, be enabled in Windows 7. I doubt it is the problem. I was ready to suggest a problem with the search index or paging file, but the mention of the problem in XP put an end to that. Only other suggestion would be, assuming you are using the same software on all three OS's, Do you have any software which, by default, could be randomly scanning your computer and using too many resources? (Particularly any anti malware programs?)

Back
Top Bottom