Windows 7 I set .txt files to open with the cmd program. I cant change the default program back

Keevu

I made a stupid mistake and changed the default program that runs .txt files to cmd. Now when I right click .txt files and try and change the default program back to notepad the "Opens With" option is not there anymore. I also tried going into Control panel/Programs/Make a file type always open with a specific program and setting the default program from there. But when I click on it and change it to notepad and click ok nothing happens and cmd is still the default program that opens .txt files.

What should I do?

Is this Windows 7?

I also, do not have that path or option???

If it is Windows 7 unzip this file and run it. It will restore the association. Not for any other OS.

Please make a backup of your registry before using it!!!!!

Thanks RAK that registry file fixed the problem. The way I set .txt files to open with cmd is, I right clicked a .txt file clicked the "Change Opens with:" button. I browsed to system32 and clicked cmd.exe. Then from there on every time I clicked on .txt files it just opened a cmd prompt. Then if I forgot to kill the task before I closed out of cmd it would make the file read only for some reason. So thank you for helping fix my problem.

Is this Windows 7?

I also, do not have that path or option???

If it is Windows 7 unzip this file and run it. It will restore the association. Not for any other OS.

Please make a backup of your registry before using it!!!!!

I guess I need tha file too RAK.where can i get it.please.and how do i make a backup os the registry

Back
Top Bottom